OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Super Vinci Shooting high????

Started by Bustabeak, February 23, 2013, 11:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

I want to see what y'all opinion is. I just bought a Super Vinci about two weeks ago. I also bought a Haymaker choke tube. But the dang thing is shooting about 5-6" high. at 10 yards!  I've read alot about Benelli's shooting high but surely someone out there has found a solution for the problem with out going to a scope/red dot.

What's everyone's opinion? I really don't want to result to putting a scope/adjustable sights on it. I've put the thickest shim in the gun, put a larger bead (Benelli nova bead) on it and it still shoots high. What are the chances it would be the choke? I hate the thought of spending that much on a gun, then having to buy additional stuff to get it to hit right. with my stoger 3500, I put the bead on the head and it hits. No questions asked. but why is the benelli so much different. Sorry for the rant, but it's just aggravating....... On a better note, it's not long until we can bust some beaks!!!!

USMC0331

Unfortunately  i had the same problem with super 90 , m2, and super black eagle. Had to put adjustable sights. I used briley, comp n choke,  kicks, and pure gold but it did not help but it doesn't mean a different choke won't help you out. Hopefully someone here has the same gun and can help you out.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Bustabeak on February 23, 2013, 11:10:04 PM
I want to see what y'all opinion is. I just bought a Super Vinci about two weeks ago. I also bought a Haymaker choke tube. But the dang thing is shooting about 5-6" high. at 10 yards!  I've read alot about Benelli's shooting high but surely someone out there has found a solution for the problem with out going to a scope/red dot.

What's everyone's opinion? I really don't want to result to putting a scope/adjustable sights on it. I've put the thickest shim in the gun, put a larger bead (Benelli nova bead) on it and it still shoots high. What are the chances it would be the choke? I hate the thought of spending that much on a gun, then having to buy additional stuff to get it to hit right. with my stoger 3500, I put the bead on the head and it hits. No questions asked. but why is the benelli so much different. Sorry for the rant, but it's just aggravating....... On a better note, it's not long until we can bust some beaks!!!!

Have you tried the full choke that came with the gun? Does it also shoot that high with that choke tube? You've put in the shim that lowers the drop of the comb? You are shooting from a solid rest at a dot, "X" etc. on some big paper? After doing all of the above, have you had someone else shoot the gun, just to see how it shoots for them?

I have a Vinci and it shoot dead on, just as it should. I had to drop the comb height but after that it was perfect.

If you've done all of the above and it still shoots that high at 10 yards, the gun may be out of spec (it happens) and if that's the case, you should take it back to the dealer. He can send it to Benelli USA for repair.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nyhunter

Does the vinci come with the shim's like the SBEII? that would be one way to get it to shoot lower is shim the stock. My SBEII also shot high so I put a Burris red dot on it and love it.

the Ward

I had the same situation with my vinci also.Like you i did some checking and found that many other benelli owners had problems with their guns patterning high.I believe it is the result of the stepped/angle rib used on some of the current models like the sbe2,vinci,super nova and m2.The angle of the rib gives it built in elevation just like raising the rear sight would on a rifle.Like you i changed shims with little effect on the poi when i aimed at a stationary target using the beads.But when i patterned the gun like guys do for wingshooting,quickly raising the gun to the shoulder and pointing it,the shims did change the poi considerably.But if i aimed the gun using the beads it was still high.So from what information i have been able to gather european wingshooters like to float their targets above the barrel like what we would call a 6 0'clock hold and benelli designs their guns to pattern that way.So for us guys who use our guns for turkey hunting,the high poi remedy usually calls for some sort of sight or optic.Good luck and i hope you can get it shooting how you want cause they are really good guns once you get them dialed in.......ward

Bustabeak

Thank for the help everyone!

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 24, 2013, 08:34:30 AM
Have you tried the full choke that came with the gun? Does it also shoot that high with that choke tube? You've put in the shim that lowers the drop of the comb? You are shooting from a solid rest at a dot, "X" etc. on some big paper? After doing all of the above, have you had someone else shoot the gun, just to see how it shoots for them?

I have a Vinci and it shoot dead on, just as it should. I had to drop the comb height but after that it was perfect.

If you've done all of the above and it still shoots that high at 10 yards, the gun may be out of spec (it happens) and if that's the case, you should take it back to the dealer. He can send it to Benelli USA for repair.

Thanks,
Clark

I haven't tried to shoot the factory full choke or had someone else shoot the gun, but I have the thickest shim in, and I've shot from a rest at a X. I will try the factory choke and letting someone else try to shoot the gun.
Thanks for your reply!

Quote from: the Ward on February 24, 2013, 08:40:12 AM
I had the same situation with my vinci also.Like you i did some checking and found that many other benelli owners had problems with their guns patterning high.I believe it is the result of the stepped/angle rib used on some of the current models like the sbe2,vinci,super nova and m2.The angle of the rib gives it built in elevation just like raising the rear sight would on a rifle.Like you i changed shims with little effect on the poi when i aimed at a stationary target using the beads.But when i patterned the gun like guys do for wingshooting,quickly raising the gun to the shoulder and pointing it,the shims did change the poi considerably.But if i aimed the gun using the beads it was still high.So from what information i have been able to gather european wingshooters like to float their targets above the barrel like what we would call a 6 0'clock hold and benelli designs their guns to pattern that way.So for us guys who use our guns for turkey hunting,the high poi remedy usually calls for some sort of sight or optic.Good luck and i hope you can get it shooting how you want cause they are really good guns once you get them dialed in.......ward
When I did pull up and shoot, as you said like wing shooters, it did seem to hit the paper alot better than when I aimed the gun as i would shooting at a turkey. That's what was confusing to me. I kept thinking, well, its hitting when I pull up and shoot, but why not when I'm aiming  from a rest.... I'm going to keep working with it. As bad as I hate it, I may be spending the 200 on a Burris FF.... I've always just liked shooting from the bead of a shotgun..and not wanting to spend another 200. Thanks for everyones help!

Skeeterbait

That is the way Benelli and many high end manufacturers set there guns up, they are thinking trap, skeet, wingshooting when they set them up where a high poi is preferred to keep from covering the target with the barrel and sights.  Your front sight is threaded and removable, If you don't want to go to an optic, I have heard of guys using a taller aftermarket front sight to remedy the problem.  Lots of them out there for under $20.  You will have to find out what thread size it has as there is more than one thread size for front sights.

the Ward

Like Skeeterbait suggested,using a taller front bead might be a good option for you to try.There are several inexpensive ones that might work for you.I have one that has a magnetic base with interchangable inserts that fit different width ribs and has interchangeable fiber optic light pipes in different sizes and colors.It sits up quite a bit higher than the stock bead and you could then experiment with different diameter/size pipes to get the poi you want.I think hi viz makes it and they are about $20 or less.The easy hit sight made by champion might work also.They make one that is about 5 inches long and is very bright it comes in red or green.Being long it effectivly lowers your poi due to the angle of the benelli rib.I have one and it is very nice has a  metal base and attaches to the rib with an automotive quality adhesive strip.It matches the vinci rib width perfectly like it was made for it and it will not fall off.Just seen them at Dicks for about $10 or so.If you still have problems pm me and i'll help ya best i can.I went thru the same thing and i understand your frustration!.......ward

mudhen

My new SV is the best wing shooting of the dozen or so Benellis I have owned since 1991.  I haven't looked at a bead while wing shooting in maybe 10+ years, so the C shim + removing the front bead was good for me.

I haven't sighted in the SV for Turks yet, but I presume I will need a sight, just as I have needed for most of my high vent rib guns.

No problem, as I have shot the FF for years, and have a FF3 just waiting to go on the SV...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Spring_Woods

I once had a turkey gun that was shooting high. My cousin suggested that I find taller turkeys to hunt.  :lol:
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Bustabeak

Quote from: mudhen on February 24, 2013, 05:43:24 PM
My new SV is the best wing shooting of the dozen or so Benellis I have owned since 1991.  I haven't looked at a bead while wing shooting in maybe 10+ years, so the C shim + removing the front bead was good for me.

I haven't sighted in the SV for Turks yet, but I presume I will need a sight, just as I have needed for most of my high vent rib guns.

No problem, as I have shot the FF for years, and have a FF3 just waiting to go on the SV...

mudhen

I'm thinking the ff is going to be the way to go. Do you mount it on a rail/scope mount rail? Or would you suggest the one that mounts like the shims do on benellis? Maybe I'm confused. Maybe that is the speed bead?

the Ward

You can mount it either using a picatinny/weaver base or for a real clean mount using the marlin 336 base made for the ff.If you go on the optics board their is a wealth of info on the ff sight and mounting.They don't make a speedbeed setup for the vinci/super vinci to my knowledge.The Burris rep frequents the optic forum,he can answer any questions you have concerning mounting.I agree Mudhen,these are one of the best wingshooting guns i've ever lifted to my shoulder!I'm like you,i could nock the bead off and never notice it gone when i'm shooting clays or ducks.The pointability of these guns is amazing,Benelli did they're homework when it comes to ergonomics!....ward

mudhen

Quote from: Bustabeak on February 24, 2013, 10:57:00 PM
Quote from: mudhen on February 24, 2013, 05:43:24 PM

mudhen

I'm thinking the ff is going to be the way to go. Do you mount it on a rail/scope mount rail? Or would you suggest the one that mounts like the shims do on benellis? Maybe I'm confused. Maybe that is the speed bead?

I ain't one for perfectly matched parts on guns, but I like them to fit well, and stay on!

For the SV, I have a plain old Weaver 93A top mount base, big and ugly, and I attached the FF III using the mount they supply.  Still looking for the protector for less that $100, but that may have to wait.

I don't know if I'll need shims until I get the gun assembled, which will be shortly...

Same set-up on my BPS, using the factory top mount base & FF II, but I was able to get the nice FF II protector from gobbler74 here, but he doesn't make one for the FF III...

One thing I do know, if I can get the SV dialed in with the HS choke + 3" MB, I will only have myself to blame for any shooting problems  :o

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

allaboutshooting

Just one other thing that you might want to consider. A gun that shoots 6" high at 10 yards may well not allow you to adjust the sights to get it on target at 40 yards. There is a limit to the adjustment of any sighting device.

The shims with that gun should be able to bring you back into range. A "wing gun" and the way it's sighted, 6 O'Clock hold, are one thing but it sounds like your gun is shooting much higher than that.

When I read the instructions with my early model Vinci, it did not give very clear instructions about changing the shims "...no tools are needed..." when if fact a wrench is needed to remove the bolt that holds the shim in place.

I don't remember how those shims are marked but the shim that is thick at the top and thin at the bottom, should get you going in the correct direction.

If that does not work, I'd really recommend that you take that gun back to the dealer.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Bustabeak

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 25, 2013, 06:34:08 PM
Just one other thing that you might want to consider. A gun that shoots 6" high at 10 yards may well not allow you to adjust the sights to get it on target at 40 yards. There is a limit to the adjustment of any sighting device.

The shims with that gun should be able to bring you back into range. A "wing gun" and the way it's sighted, 6 O'Clock hold, are one thing but it sounds like your gun is shooting much higher than that.

When I read the instructions with my early model Vinci, it did not give very clear instructions about changing the shims "...no tools are needed..." when if fact a wrench is needed to remove the bolt that holds the shim in place.

I don't remember how those shims are marked but the shim that is thick at the top and thin at the bottom, should get you going in the correct direction.

If that does not work, I'd really recommend that you take that gun back to the dealer.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks again for your help. I do have the thickest shim in and my user manual also said no tools required, but unless I'm missing something those shim's don't get replaced without a wrench. By the 6 o'clock position are you meaning that even when shooting from a rest/bench, I should put the bead just under the "X" in the 6 o'clock position? Or would that mostly be with wing shooting?