OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunting Success?

Started by ncbowhunter, February 23, 2013, 07:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncbowhunter

What are your thoughts on the minimum call proficiency that is needed to kill a gobbler? I am good with a pot & box call, but I just don't have the confidence or the ability needed for a diaphragm call at this time. Do I need this to be successful in the short term? Thanks for your help!

Crappiepro

I'd say if your good with a pot call or a box you should be alright but your still at a small disadvantage. I would at least try to learn to use a mouth call for a yelp or cutt, it will really help you call that bird in alittle closer while holding a gun unless you can get lucky enuff moving while using one of manual calls and not spook a bird.
Good Luck, Crappiepro

hookedspur

No !  a lot of guys on this site use one call over another ,I cant use a mouth call at all ,I use Box and friction calls and I find a bird or two most every year that like it well enough to ride home with me ....
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

guesswho

Quote from: ncbowhunter on February 23, 2013, 07:47:46 PM
I am good with a pot & box call, but I just don't have the confidence or the ability needed for a diaphragm call at this time. Do I need this to be successful in the short term? Thanks for your help!
I would suggest leaving any call you don't have confidence in at the house.   Pot call and box call are plenty.  As Crappiepro mentioned, a mouth call will allow you a little more freedom to call when a bird is in tight, but it's not a must have.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jakebird

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2013, 08:02:52 PM
Quote from: ncbowhunter on February 23, 2013, 07:47:46 PM
I am good with a pot & box call, but I just don't have the confidence or the ability needed for a diaphragm call at this time. Do I need this to be successful in the short term? Thanks for your help!
I would suggest leaving any call you don't have confidence in at the house.   Pot call and box call are plenty.  As Crappiepro mentioned, a mouth call will allow you a little more freedom to call when a bird is in tight, but it's not a must have.
X2. As turkey fanatics we tend to be obsessive. Desiring to master every call ever made. Most of us never stop trying to improve our calling . Maybe by the time im a weathered old geezer i will finally be satisfied that i m a dead ringer for a real turkey. Till then i will always be trying to improve . If u think about it, running a call is alot like learning a musical instrument. If you don't feel confident with the mandolin yet , just perform with your old guitar at your next  "concert". A dead bird is a dead bird and truth is most of us make better turkey talk with friction calls anyway. The mouth call just really has that advantage of no movement and hands free.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

redarrow

I'm not the most proficient turkey hunter in the woods . I've taken maybe 12 or so. The first with a push pin,the rest with a pot call.

ncbowhunter

Thanks for the feedback! I can yelp with a diaphragm, but that's about it......thanks again!

M R Ducks

Between my own and others called for family and friends, I've taken 48 birds.  Never used a mouth call! Just can't seem to make it sound as sweet as the friction calls.  Never had a case where I said, "Wow, wish I had a mouth call."

Just my experience.  I do know a guy that sounds like a whole flock of turkeys with a simple diaphragm call.  If you can use one,mtheyncan be amazing.

Ducks

guesswho

Quote from: ncbowhunter on February 23, 2013, 08:51:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I can yelp with a diaphragm, but that's about it......thanks again!
I'd try to learn to cluck on the mouth call.  It should be pretty easy to learn.  Then combine that with your pot and box and you will have more than enough tools to kill bird.  The reason I'd say learn to cluck is because that's about all you need when he's in tight anyway, and you would still have the advantage of no movement.  But still be able to coax him a little if need be.  Good luck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TauntoHawk

Killed my first turkeys with two knight and Hale pot calls and a crow call to my name.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gamblinman

Lots of turkeys killed with nothing but box and friction calls. Just keep working with mouth calls and add it to your arsenal.

I find setup, and being where the turkeys want to be more important then the actual calling.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

redleg06

I'd even say being good at ONE type of call is plenty....having said that, a mouth call is my favorite and I'd keep working at it now so you're confident in it after another season or two of practice.

In the mean time, you might try a good push-pin type call.They are as cheap and easy to use as any call you'll find and they dont require two hands when a bird gets in tight. That's what I used when they got in tight, until I got comfortable with a diaphram call...

El Pavo Grande

I agree with all the above.  It is not a necessity to master all calls.  I have turkey hunted over 25 years and my dad taught us to use a box call first, then a mouth call second.  To this day, I sound like a dying chicken on a pot style call and just never felt an urge to devote time to get very good with one.  I use a mouth call, box call, scratch box call, and occasionally a tube call.  Those have worked well for me, but other calls work better for others, and each one will call turkeys in.  Like guesswho said, a big benefit of at least learning to cluck on a mouth call can be to coax one while close and stop one to raise his head for a good neck shot.  Rather than sounding like a world championship caller on any call, most important is knowing what call to make at the proper time.

tomstopper

I mostly use my slate, glass, & aluminum friction calls along with my box calls and am just now trying to learn diaphragm calls. This being said, I have killed about 35 turkeys through the years so I consider myself pretty successful. Bottom line is use what you feel comfortable & confident with and success will follow. Good luck.......

Skeeterbait

If you can yelp on a mouth call then practice making very soft yelps, like what we call a "Tree Call" but is really just a contentment sound.  I have been successful using this to close a gobbler the last few yards after putting my pot or box down.  That is about all I use a diaphragm for is hands free soft calling to seal the deal.  Tree call for now and work on a cluck and purr for later and your good to go.