turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fed HW or Hevi 13?

Started by noggin buster, February 23, 2013, 01:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noggin buster

Going to pattern some shells next week. Hevi 13 6,7 or Fed HW 6,7 out of a Mossy 535 with SSX? Is there much difference between hevi shot and Fed HW? :OGturkeyhead:

chatterbox

Quote from: noggin buster on February 23, 2013, 01:27:24 PM
Going to pattern some shells next week. Hevi 13 6,7 or Fed HW 6,7 out of a Mossy 535 with SSX? Is there much difference between hevi shot and Fed HW? :OGturkeyhead:
The hevi-13 will shoot better. That flight control wad in the Fed shell can be a bear to find the right choke for.

BandedSpur

HS will put up higher numbers. HW is much denser and packs a lot more punch. In HW, stick with 7s. They have way more energy and penetration than HS 6s or 7s. Using HW 6s is counter productive...your numbers will suffer. With HS, you could make an argument for 6s over 7s. With HW, you cannot.

surehuntsalot

I use the Federal's
I like them more over the hevi 13 and they throw better patterns out of my guns
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

PALongspur

If you're interested with impressing people on the internet with numbers, shoot Hevi Shot. If you want to flatten gobblers, go with HeavyWeight.

Bear in mind, the Federal shells have alot less pellets per ounce than their competitors so on paper it may not look as impressive. However, those little pellets hit like a freight train. I've had good results with both the 5s and the 7s, 6s never performed as well.

BrowningGuy88

I have shot birds with H-13 6's and 7's and with Nitro Hevishot but not Fed HWT.

I know how the H-13 loads kill and how much harder the birds seem hit with Nitro's and the Fed's have even more density and velocity. If I can get 190+ with HWT 7's out of my 935 that is what I will use even though with H-13 7's I could break 300.

01Foreman400

20 ga. HW 3" 1.5 oz. #7's.  In 12 ga. 3.5" 2 7/16 oz. #7's Nitros.  On my back-up 12 I shoot 3" Hevi-13 Magnum Blends.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Fullfan

Quote from: PALongspur on February 27, 2013, 08:34:44 AM
If you're interested with impressing people on the internet with numbers, shoot Hevi Shot. If you want to flatten gobblers, go with HeavyWeight.

What he said..... :z-guntootsmiley:
Don't gobble at me...

captin_hook

I've killed birds with both shells. The federals are faster but the hevi 13 patterned better for me. The hevis are fast enough for me and I love the pattern I get out of em. Both are good shells, but I like the hevis a little more.

savduck

I've got two guns that will shoot the federals very well and hevi 13 very well through my SSX.  I'd say pattern wise they are apple to apple. So I shoot the Feds for two main reasons

1. Cheaper cost
2. Heavier so they hit harder.
Georgia Boy

spaightlabs

With the Feds having 3/8 oz less payload by weight (18.75%) and denser shot how do the pellet counts stack up?  Gotta be like 25 to 30% lower in a 3 inch shell?

SKFOOTER

Quote from: savduck on February 28, 2013, 01:49:39 PM
I've got two guns that will shoot the federals very well and hevi 13 very well through my SSX.  I'd say pattern wise they are apple to apple. So I shoot the Feds for two main reasons

1. Cheaper cost
Which shotgun are you shooting this combo in??

savduck

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 28, 2013, 04:08:43 PM
Quote from: savduck on February 28, 2013, 01:49:39 PM

1. Cheaper cost
Which shotgun are you shooting this combo in??

The 20 gauge 870 shoots Hevi 13 7 s with a 155 Average with SSX and high 140s with Feds.
Georgia Boy

bawana

Been shooting the Federals #7 in 3.5 for three years now, I average about 140 in a 10 inch circle at 40, usually 12-20 in the kill. Like others have said they hit like a freight train!

spaightlabs

Yup, them numbers ain't gonna hurt nuthin' but some Turks.