OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thick?

Started by guesswho, February 22, 2013, 03:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Do gobblers like thick areas like big bucks do?  Or do they avoid them most of the time?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spring_Woods

Turkeys live in fields.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

redarrow

They like to be where they can spot predators. They avoid thick areas.

barry

They would do well to avoid any area you are in! ;)

turkey_slayer

I will be the odd ball and say they like thick. Killed a few in some nasty laurel. Not hardly any fields here tho unless farmland

shark

I agree with turkey_slayer, I've seen them walk the edge inside the thick stuff gobbling but would not come into the open woods, but not many fields here except farms

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Ronnie,

I hear they live inside those nasty briar thickets and a good way to kill one is to crawl in their with them.

I also hear the best way to kill one is to shoot it from a tree.

I have yet to kill one.  I just take nature walks and find them dead.  Then I dress up in cammy-flage and borrow Joe Biden's shotgun to pose with them to make these guys on here think Im some kind of turk-wizard!

I hope you have great luck this year trying to kill your first turkey.... Of the year!

alclark2

IMO It depends on the situation. A lot of public land birds in Indiana at least don't want to come out of the woods. They gobble at you all day from the thick stuff but don't want to come out. I think its because of the pressure on them. On the flip side of this... Less pressured private land birds I think are more field birds.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

mudhen

Shot quite a few toms that have passed up open fields to come crunching through the thick woods like Godzilla, so I never ignore any possible approach route...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

WickedBama

Toms don't like thick stuff but iv killed a few in the thickets.
Live For It!

Old Gobbler

Hens love it for nesting .....

Ive seen gobblers come out of a maze of palmettos , but most times these very thick areas are a barrier and hindrance  for any gobbler to approach you, and if and when they do make it through it its at a slower pace , verses open fields they will sprint 500 yards in 3 minutes to get to you

in your part of the world this may be different for you 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Flydown

We have a lot of thick pine plantations and the later it gets in our season the more you can find a long beard in the thick areas and we hunt the heck out of them in there.  ;D

Houndstooth Game Calls

They use it here in the south to slip rite up on you. I can tell you that I have had turkeys come to me in some nasty stuff. Don't ever think they won't use a thicket to slip up there and get a peek at what they think is the love of there life yelping at them. I have seen this a lot in river bottom a 20 yr old+ stand of hard wood not big enough to climb a tree or big enough to roost in but at 4 feet off the ground you can see 60 to 70 yards under it and if you Stand up you can't see squat. They love to loaf in it during the day and scratch midday. It's usually the place no one likes to hunt cause it looks thick from the road!!

vaturkey

Ronnie

While you're in those nasty thickets looking for gobblers keep an eye out for buck sheds. They like thickets too !   :you_rock:
Vaturkey

turkey_slayer

This is the last one I killed in laurel. It's about a mile and a half long patch by a mile wide. He was across the valley from me so I went down off thru the stuff and got him to come about 300 yards thru it. Shot him at like 18 yards and barely could find a hole then. Blew the laurel bush in front of him all to pieces lol