OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deer Skull Lamps

Started by barry, March 05, 2011, 11:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Here's some lamps my brother has been making. My brother is a licensed taxidermist and the skulls are from deer he did Texas mounts on and the owners never came back to get them.

When the Game Dept told us the lamps were illegal to sell I sent the following to several members of the VDGIF quoting the following from their website...

"The exception to the law prohibiting the buying and selling of deer antlers, are antlers that have been "processed" and made into a product ( e.g. , antler chandelier, knife handle, pen, work of art, etc.). These products can be legally bought and sold in Virginia."

I then asked the following question..."Are these lamps not products?"

After a week I received an answer. Here is the condensed version...

]"That web text was written several years ago and our law enforcement division now says it is incorrect. We will take it down. They agree with the knife handle and pen parts, but disagree with the chandelier and work of art parts. The law enforcement division is interpreting it narrowly saying only "tools" or "utensils" are legal and a chandelier or work of art made from an antler(s) is not a tool or utensil."

So basically once they saw the lamps they now want to rewrite the law.

redarrow

TauntoHawk

I love the one on the left... can you give them as gifts and maybe get a gift in exchange hahaha.... that sucks they wont let you sell them, seems like a stupid rule
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tra_cline

re-writing the law will be fine for future offenses, but prohibiting you from selling those under the current laws is no different from issuing speeding tickets on a highway who's limit will be dropped in the future.

knightrider

harvester

I like em. May have to try and make me a couple out the heads I got.  :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Quote from: harvester on March 05, 2011, 08:11:27 PM
I like em. May have to try and make me a couple out the heads I got.  :icon_thumright:
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

PANYHunter

They look great.  I hate bureaucrats.  I would say that artificial light is one the basic forms of a "tool".

joshua

Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

GOLD HUNTER

they look nice...........what does the state classify as a donation  :bike2:

brian

tra_cline

If I wanted  to buy a light bulb from you would you through a lamp in for free..................

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

handcannon

Give them away with a moderate donation. Great looking lamps. Between that and the shroom tubes, da boy got some talent.

turkey slayer

Quote from: harvester on March 05, 2011, 08:11:27 PM
:agreed:

bowhunter84