Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When do you Cut/cluck/Yelp when a bird is around?

Started by C.j., February 20, 2013, 03:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.j.

lets say you have a gobbler fire back at your crow call, I usually get set up and yelp about 10 min later, i might throw in some soft clucks and cuts then yelp loud again 15min later to see where he is.

whats your method?

CallDr

If I had a gobbler hammer to a crow call I would spend the time to find the right place to set up and call once to let him know where I was....... then wait him out. No matter how many times he gobbles ( or not ) ....... he knows exactly where you are.

www.wildtalker.com

USMC0331

If he answers a crow, I will get set up and do a soft cluck, if he answers, shotgun is up pointed in his direction and I wait till he shows up. On game land if you get the  bird gobbling a lot on roost everyone in the county starts showing up not to mention the coyotes.

Matt81302

Quote from: USMC0331 on March 05, 2013, 05:17:12 PM
If he answers a crow, I will get set up and do a soft cluck, if he answers, shotgun is up pointed in his direction and I wait till he shows up. On game land if you get the  bird gobbling a lot on roost everyone in the county starts showing up not to mention the coyotes.

Reminds me of one of my first seasons of Turkey hunting. I am a self tought turkey hunter and in the begining I thought the more he gobbled the better I was doing. One morning on some public land I had a bird fired up and gobbling every 10-15 seconds. The next thing I knew I hear a gun blast off and pellets scatter threw the woods. Someone had slipped in between me and the Tom. Scared the heck out of me. That was a little to close for comfort, the joys of public land.

To the OP, I would make a few soft yelps and when I feel he is headed my way I like to throw a few very soft purrs and clucks from time to time.

redleg06

i usually dont use a hen call until i'm in a spot I think I can kill him so getting the right set up would be priority #1 then I'd go as light as i could on the calling and get louder if i needed to. Probably start off by purring and scratching leaves and if I got a response then I'd leave it at that and see if he didnt come on in.

Triplgobble

There are two things that let a gobbler gobble the next morning in my opinion, calling to much & moving to soon.

C.j.

with the scratching in the leaves, dont turkeys have about the same hearing ability as we do? so they would have to be somewhat close for that to work?