OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

So who's done the scratch???

Started by Mainer, February 20, 2013, 01:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gold Spur

Quote from: 870FaceLift on February 20, 2013, 11:47:07 AM
Quote from: tomtamer25 on February 20, 2013, 07:22:44 AM
I do it every time that I set up on a turkey or if Im blind calling.

X2

If I can't see him, I'll throw out some scratching.
X3
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 20, 2013, 09:25:45 AM
It can seal the deal on a close but hung up gobbler in timber.  Like any other calling, you need to be familiar with how a hen scratches to memic the right sound.

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 20, 2013, 07:52:55 AM
Scratch..........scratch,scratch............. Scratch.........scratch,scratch.  :fud:

My most memorable hunts and best birds have been taken this way.  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Shakey Jake

I used the scratch method last yr to seal the deal on one! :icon_thumright:

guesswho

Scratch..........scratch,scratch............. Scratch.........scratch,scratch.  :fud:
I have to ask again.  What cadence does two or more feeding turkeys have.   What is that sequence, I want to sound like four or five hens.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

DC1.

K9Doc

Most under rated call in your arsenal!!! Killed a tub full by only clucking, purring, and scratching.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

coyotetrpr

First time I did it it was by accident. I had tried to move positions slowly and I guess he heard the leaves rustle. Once I got to the new location I saw him near where I just was. That was the only time I have scratched on accident, however I have used this trick many times since.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

hangitup

jblackburn

Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2013, 02:53:04 PM
I have to ask again.  What cadence does two or more feeding turkeys have.   What is that sequence, I want to sound like four or five hens.

Take your vest off, lay flat on your back then roll for about 12 yards, then roll back.  That will sound like a whole herd of those flockers! Grab your gun and get ready!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

hookedspur

I use it about every setup ,I think its my testing call ,when he gobbles at it He's Mine !!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

El Pavo Grande

Agree it's often the best call to make, along with silence.  Sometimes it is the only call that should be made if you want to kill certain turkeys.

Kylongspur88

Every time there's dry leaves..

Old Gobbler

Gobblers have keen hearing

I was roosting gobblers in Cypress swamps in Florida -I didnt make a call at all - I was sneaking along a trail looking to set up , I came upon a large puddle I could not get around without stepping in it .... two slow  steps into it - GOOOOobleoble oble   ..... a gobbler heard my steps in the water and ran in from 150 yards , I could see him coming , I had to duck down so I wouldnt spook him - eventually he walked off -    man, they got good hearing 
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Eric Gregg

Quote from: jblackburn on February 20, 2013, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2013, 02:53:04 PM

Take your vest off, lay flat on your back then roll for about 12 yards, then roll back.  That will sound like a whole herd of those flockers! Grab your gun and get ready!

:TooFunny: