OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many don't use a vest?

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 19, 2013, 02:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I have never used a turkey hunting vest and was wondering if others hunt without one.  I have a bag that I can throw on that is like an army ruck sack.  I can get water, snack, 2 box calls, 4 pot calls, a pile of strikers, extra shells, first aide kit, and clippers in.  I also have a few small items in the bag.  It has straps to tie down a jacket if it gets warm during the day.  I also use a seat that has longer legs in the front and a nice pad for sitting on.  What do you use while turkey hunting and is it worth looking into a vest at the end of the season when they are on sale?

redarrow

I start the season with one. Mainly for the cushion. By the end of season Im usually down to my gun,shells,2 pot and 2 strikers.

TrackeySauresRex

I've allways used one. I couldn't imagine not having one,that's JMO. If you like your set up and your comfortable,stick with it. Wing Supply always has vests on sale. For Me.... it's all about the cushion. You have to be comfortable.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RutnNStrutn

I hunt mainly in the deep south, so its often warm. A lot of times I'll use my Beard Buster Belt, to which I've added another big pouch to help me carry all my stuff.

BrowningGuy88

I wear one when I head to the woods, but if the day wears on and I am having to move on a bird a lot I will drop the vest and carry the call I am running and my shotgun with whatever shells are in it and my gobbler lounger.

Erno86

I like to wear a turkey vest...because it has convenient pockets, a game bag back pocket sleeve, and hidden blaze orange panels; that I can display while walking through the woods. When I sit down, I'll sometimes use my daypack as a seat, and use my turkey vest seat cushion as a back cushion; against a wide tree.

Closer to midday...if it is warm enough, I'll shed the turkey vest, and strap it to my daypack.

Mike Honcho

I just started using one last year and I wished I would have bought one a lot sooner.

I hunt in Kansas so mostly agricultural fields around creeks and small wood acreages.

Due to the wide open type of hunting for the most part I sometimes use a ground blind and decoys.  I like carrying the dekes in the game bag portion of the vest and the game bag is sure helpful when carrying out a gobbler, gun and gear.

The padded seat is great too.  I just bought an inexpensive one at Walmart for $ 40.00 last year but I'll probably invest in a nicer one with more features possibly next season.

tomstopper

I wear them but sometimes if it is to hot then I just grab my favorite calls and about 3 more shells and off I go. They are pretty nice though and I try to use mine as much as possible.

jblackburn

I usually do, but I bought a couple of those ol tom shirts that have a pad in the back, I'll probably wear them when it is late season and I go decoyless.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

paboxcall

Used to wear one, but don't anymore.  A lot of my hunting last year was from a mountain bike, so I take a strap on seat cushion, a trumpet call, a box call in a belt holster, mouth call, scratch box in shirt pocket, water bottle on the bike and off I go.  Anything else I need can ride in the cargo pants pockets.

When I hit the woods without the bike, I carry a small fanny pack with shoulder straps and the strap on seat cushion for water, food, etc.

I found with the traditional style vest with 20+ pockets, I end up filling every one of those pockets and lugging around a vest that feels like it weighs 50 pounds.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

paboxcall

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 19, 2013, 02:54:18 PM
I hunt mainly in the deep south, so its often warm. A lot of times I'll use my Beard Buster Belt, to which I've added another big pouch to help me carry all my stuff.

Hey Rutn -- If you don't already, a pair of clip-on suspenders attached to that belt would make wearing that more comfy.  Just a suggestion. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Hognutz

I bought one years ago, but never wear it anymore..Too cumbersome. I have a fanny pack and attach all my needed calls to the belt.. When I get to my spot, I take the belt off and have all my stuff close at hand.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

mikejd

I have a few. And have tried to get used to them I just cant. I use a penns woods shoulderbag that is well thought out with copartments inside the main pocket. Pot pouches on the front for easy access. You cant beat it. Plus its eqsy to shed if u need to make a run.

30_06

I use one off and on throughout the season, if I'm not wearing it I use a daypack. Both seem to work just fine for me.

briancady

I used to use a vest, but now I carry a backpack with everything I need and a separate cushion for sitting on.  Its alot more comfortable and conveinent