Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dear Outdoor Television Show Producers.....

Started by Rio, February 19, 2013, 12:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray223

Either way, those guys are getting paid (for the most part) to hunt turkey. Can you say the same for yourself?

mudhen

Bow hunting turkeys is one of the hardest things I've ever done, blind or no blind. 

Bow hunting for coyotes might be the hardest!!

As to any videos, I pretty much hate them all, mostly because it's not me on the video, and if I'm watchin' on TV, that means I ain't out hunting....

I do buy the Primos videos each year, kind of a tradition.  #24 is pretty good I think....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

tomstopper

Quote from: Dray223 on February 19, 2013, 03:43:20 PM
Either way, those guys are getting paid (for the most part) to hunt turkey. Can you say the same for yourself?
I might not get paid cash wise but I sure do get paid when I base it on love/enjoyment for the hunt, tranquility and enjoying the beauty of nature itself (it would be nice to have the money to but the other reasons trump that for me). :toothy12: :toothy12:

Rio

No. I get paid to hunt ducks and geese.
I hunt turkeys out of spite.

MOStrutter

IMO bow hunting turkeys is the ultimate challenge for a turkey hunter.  Blind or no blind.  You are very restricted in opportunities when it comes to set up, cover, and getting on the turkeys in general. You aren't very mobile so you must make the turkey do what you want him to do.  And that to some people is the ultimate challange.  Now I also know guys that hate blind hunting and run and gun all the time with very good luck and to them that is the ultimate rush.  It is a difference in ideaologies in this great sport of turkey hunting.

socalturkeyman

Im a run and gun man,and thats the bottom line. I have hunted out of blinds and hate it.But like its been said before that just MHO. There for I dont watch it on tv or particapate in hunting turkey in blinds.I enjoy chasing them through the woods trying to spark one lonley gobbler to respond.And as far as 40 + yard shot....booo get them close and watch the feathers fly from a 2 1/4 ounce of shot.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

GSLAM95

Quote from: Rio on February 19, 2013, 04:02:14 PM

No. I get paid to hunt ducks and geese.
I hunt turkeys out of spite.
Do you Duck hunt out of a blind or in a pit? 
If so then you sir are a hypocrite with the 1st post you made starting this thread!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Ded Goblr

Most importantly is that we are all TURKEY HUNTERS. The anti's love to see any bickering between hunting groups. To each their own hunting is hunting, and I embrace it all.. Remember divided we fall, just as the lion hunters in California did when they still had a season (traditional archers Vs modern archers). It's all GOOD!!!!

Eatmymosca

Hmmmmmmm
I am a new member and this is my first post, but i do have an opinion.
As far as watching the programs on tv that bow hunt out of "tents" hey man just don't watch them!
I have this same argument with one of my best friends and avid turkey hunters and IMO (and i have killed birds both ways) hunting turkeys out of a pop up requires far less skill than the good old fashion way. The bottom line is you can get away with waaaaay to much and still bring em in with good decoys and calls. How many birds have ya"ll killed playing on your phone, reading a magazine or standing up several times to stretch your legs from sitting on a uncomfortable chair without a pop up?
Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it at all, but i would like to see someone bow hunt sans "tent" one day. Ive challenged my buddy many times, but its like a crutch for him and he wont do it.
Just my .02 cents

Ruger M77

Watching bowhuntin for turkeys is like watchin Earnest Goes To Camp without Earnest ;D
I eat therefore I hunt

coyotetrpr

I would guess that bowhunting for turkeys from a blind can be compared to playing golf. It is chalenging and fun to those who do it, but boring to watch on tv to those who don't.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

bowhunter in a tent

Rio,

So do you hunt out of a blind while hunting waterfowl?  Due to no response I believe so.  Do you hunt deer out of a "tent?"  No response needed on that one.  Do you use camo? Plastic ultra-realistic decoys?  Hell, if you think everyone that hunts with a bow needs to do it without a blind why do you use one yourself on other species?  Have you killed a turkey with a bow?  Hard to speak about something with NO experience on it IMO.  I think that whatever floats you boat is great but don't knock others that do it differently especially when you have zero experience on how they do it.  I personally believe that getting a gobbler to commit to the decoys (yes, I use them), and shooting them at LESS than 10 yards with a longbow (out of the dreaded "tent") is challenging and ask everyone here if they disagree.  I also shoot them without a blind with a shotgun so I CAN see both sides of the fence on this.

That song "Online" by Brad Paisley comes to mind but the difference between me and everyone else on here is that I know you.  BTW great first post!

I hope everyone here has a great Spring however YOU decide to hunt!

deerhunt1988

It is the decoys, not the blind, that take most of the challenge out of it.

Rio

Charlie, of course I hunt ducks out of a blind. That's how you hunt ducks!! That's how ducks have been hunted since the beginning of time.
As for turkey hunting, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm guessing most Indians weren't packing a Double Bull.
In my original post, I merely stated hunting out of a tent doesn't make good TV, and that is a scientific fact!
As for the rest of this thread, that escalated quickly! I mean that really got out of hand. Brick killed a guy.

As I said before, not all bow/tent hunters are bad hunters. HOWEVA, there is no way anyone can make a lucid, intelligent, well thought out argument that this style of hunting requires a fraction of the skill that traditional hunting does. These guys on TV put their tent in a known strutting area, throw out 3 or 4 decoys and wait for a bird to come fight their Killer Dirty B. Hell, there's a show called Wild Outdoors with Jay Gregory where they try to exclusively shoot birds in the head with a bow. Does my "target practice" theory hold water in that case?

I have a buddy that has a lease in Rocksprings who invited me turkey hunting a few years ago. We all woke up the next morning, got dressed, drank coffee, etc....this cat rolls into the kitchen wearing blue jeans, a black short sleeved t-shirt, and a black cap. He went to the closest clearing to the roost (which also had a feeder in it), played on his iPhone and smoked a pack of cigarettes. He also killed two turkeys. Matter of fact, he killed his 4 turkey limit every year he was on that lease. Now tell me, would you consider someone like him to be a "good" turkey hunter? Not bashing the guy....he's a friend of mine, and I appreciated the invite, but if he had invited any of y'all with the stipulation you had to hunt out of a blind would you have been overly excited about it?

It is a legal method of taking a turkey. So is shooting them with a rifle in some states.....wouldn't want to see a hunting show on that either. Not my bag, baby....

dawgfrombama

Turkey hunting is a shotgun sport IMO.  ;D  I personally dont use blinds but if someone wants to, thats thier business.   I'm an old school type of guy no blinds or decoys.  I also like to get them in close.