OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dear Outdoor Television Show Producers.....

Started by Rio, February 19, 2013, 12:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio

Turkey hunting with a bow out of a pop up blind is ABSOLUTELY UNWATCHABLE. If you must bow hunt, how about trying to kill one Indian style (sans tent)...?
Sincerely,
Every turkey hunter.

budtripp

Don't knock it til you've tried it, its pretty fun

MOStrutter

I would much rather watch a hunter call a turkey in close and watch him execute a hard shot than watch clip after clip of turkeys being shot at 40+ yards.  But that is just me and I can relate to blind hunting because I bow hunt and love to work turkeys close.  If you run and gun a lot then I can understand how it can seem boring.

spaightlabs

There's a lot of guys that would say the exact opposite - that killing em at 40 yards with several hundred projectiles launched at them at once isn't particularly challenging...

redarrow

I would be happy if I could just watch a " HUNTING" show.Today's shows for the most part are nothing more than 30 minute commercials.

jwhunter

Shooting turkeys out of a blind with a bow or gun is not fun to me and i hate watching it on tv as well.

some of us like brunettes or blonds, others red heads

longspur

Quote from: jwhunter on February 19, 2013, 11:12:13 AM
Shooting turkeys out of a blind with a bow or gun is not fun to me and i hate watching it on tv as well.

some of us like brunettes or blonds, others red heads
Love those red heads!! :gobble: I hunted out of a blind once with a kid and his dad. I didn't like it and didn't like the idea of teaching the kid to do that. I wound up calling in the boys first gobbler while we were sitting by a tree later that season. He shot it with my 835 and he had to pick his hat up off the ground ;D

Spring_Woods

Quote from: redarrow on February 19, 2013, 11:01:24 AM
I would be happy if I could just watch a " HUNTING" show.Today's shows for the most part are nothing more than 30 minute commercials.

I DVR them. Only way to watch hunting shows is if you can fast forward through all the crap.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Rio

Quote from: ridgerunner on February 19, 2013, 11:32:44 AM
Don't speak for every turkey hunter....I don't feel the same and know many accomplished hunters who would disagree with your assessment ...don't paint with such a broad brush Rio.. To each his own..if its UN watchable....simple , don't watch. :popcorn:
Knew that was coming...
I was speaking in hyperbole, fellas.
However, I will throw more gasoline on the fire..(I'm bored):
Bowhunting out of a blind is nothing more than target practice. Being a good shot is a requirement, but being a good turkey hunter isn't...
Notice I didn't say all bowhunters are bad turkey hunters...but not a lot of skill is required to do what they're doing on some of these TV shows.

davisd9

If a person wants to bow hunt turkeys I am fine with that, and do not care if they use a blind or not (not my style but I do not have anything against it).  Thinking about giving it a go one day myself. I agree that watching a bow kill turkey on tv is boring, to me, but so is someone shooting them with a shotgun in a blind and decoys (understand this makes for the best footage for television).  Just not for me.  Live in person with a bow is probably a totally different story!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jhcats10

Quote from: Rio on February 19, 2013, 12:52:02 PM
Quote from: ridgerunner on February 19, 2013, 11:32:44 AM
Don't speak for every turkey hunter....I don't feel the same and know many accomplished hunters who would disagree with your assessment ...don't paint with such a broad brush Rio.. To each his own..if its UN watchable....simple , don't watch. :popcorn:
Knew that was coming...
I was speaking in hyperbole, fellas.
However, I will throw more gasoline on the fire..(I'm bored):
Bowhunting out of a blind is nothing more than target practice. Being a good shot is a requirement, but being a good turkey hunter isn't...
Notice I didn't say all bowhunters are bad turkey hunters...but not a lot of skill is required to do what they're doing on some of these TV shows.

Have you ever bow hunted turkeys???
IMO, there is A LOT more skill needed to kill a turkey with a bow than there is to pull a trigger with a 3 or 3.5 load flying at them at 1200 fps...

Again, just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irishff727

Hunting shows in general are unrealistic for most hunters, not all of can get on prime land loaded with birds due to exceptional food plots and management, or can even afford to pay to go on these types of hunts, we don't have groups of guys scouting for us or even have the money to set up a perfect permante blind somewhere, we hunt high pressured public land where skills and miles on the boots get the game, where good calling and years and years of knowledge are passed down. I only truly watch hunting to shows for that 1 min tips and tricks section and sometimes u don't even get that. Let's have a show where one guy does all of his own scouting and prep and has to hunt public land that isn't loaded with prime food plots and only allow 5 to 10 hunters a year on it.

insert witty saying here

pappy

As far as hunting with a bow, that is cool, as far as hunting out a blind, to each his or hers own. Not a good idea to down others because of their choice. If you don't like it just don't do it, if you don't like watching it on the t.v. then just don't.  I myself am going to hunt out of a blind this Spring due to health issues, gonna wait till I see the hairs on top of his head though, don't do shots over 40 yards...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: pappy on February 19, 2013, 01:34:15 PM
As far as hunting with a bow, that is cool, as far as hunting out a blind, to each his or hers own. Not a good idea to down others because of their choice. If you don't like it just don't do it, if you don't like watching it on the t.v. then just don't.  I myself am going to hunt out of a blind this Spring due to health issues, gonna wait till I see the hairs on top of his head though, don't do shots over 40 yards...

:icon_thumright: :fud:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

jakesdad

Have used a blind in the past,dont care for it,felt restricted on vision and hearing.That being said,this spring being my sons first year,we WILL use a blind.I dont feel its teaching them the wrong way or the easy way,I think the effect is just the opposite.I feel it keeps them interested longer(dont have to sit so still,can read a book,etc)and allows success to be somewhat easier,thus giving them a spark to keep em at it.Once they get a little older and have experienced some success/failure then let them decide which way they prefer.And yes TV "hunting" shows for the most part stink.Not realistic for the average guy at all.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"