OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Patterning and cold temperatures?

Started by WyoHunter, February 18, 2013, 03:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

What affect does cold temperatures (below 45) have on patterning and POI? Unfortunately those above 50 degree days can be far and few between here in WY in the early spring. What has your experience been with this condition?  :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

davisd9

Higher temps usually give higher numbers.  I am not scared to pattern on a 50 degree day even though most of our season it will be in the 70s and as high as 90.  If you want to see the most your gun will put up then you want to shoot on a hot day.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Quote from: davisd9 on February 18, 2013, 03:53:35 PM
Higher temps usually give higher numbers.  I am not scared to pattern on a 50 degree day even though most of our season it will be in the 70s and as high as 90.  If you want to see the most your gun will put up then you want to shoot on a hot day.
davisd9 is spot on. Personally, I will pattern my gun on a 50-60 degree day, because those temps mimic a typical early May morning for me, and that gives me my best picture of how my gun will pattern. If it's warmer than that, it's just gravy as far as my pattern is concerned.