OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bad habits that cost you birds.........

Started by reflexl, February 18, 2013, 09:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

After reading through these I have been guilty of most at one time or another. I remember one time in particular I carried my son when he was young. I had a bird talking pretty good and moved in a crossing in between two bean fields. My set up looked perfect------because it was. I got impatient after a few minutes of silence from the bird. I told matt lets go get him. We got up and started into the field and met the bird running right at us. No way to shoot. reflexl

870FaceLift

I agree with most -- my lack of patience has cost me numerous birds.  Sometimes it is so hard to slow waaaayyy down and remember that the tom is on his own time and he'll do as he pleases.
Pass it on...

WickedBama

Driving by a field or open area knowing there might be a tom in it. Trying to get better at stopping shot knocking open areas iv been busted alot of times pulling up to or driving by areas
Live For It!

guesswho

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 18, 2013, 09:29:29 PM
One of these days, I'm gonna hop in Guesswho's pocket and tag along for a season :turkey2: with only a pad and pen, taking notes. ;)
Steve has been there.  He can answer any questions you might have, unless he was sworn to secrecy ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BrowningGuy88

The worst bad habit I have is letting a bird get to close before I shoot. I have usually been able to connect on the second shot, but a few had lived to die another day because they were in at 3 - 8 yards. I like watching the show and should probably pull the trigger sooner.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on February 19, 2013, 04:25:45 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 18, 2013, 09:29:29 PM
One of these days, I'm gonna hop in Guesswho's pocket and tag along for a season :turkey2: with only a pad and pen, taking notes. ;)
Steve has been there.  He can answer any questions you might have, unless he was sworn to secrecy ;D
Which I'm sure he has!! ;D :lol:

leasburg

I have been told I am to patient.  When birds are not sounding off I will sit tight with dekes in a field and usually a bird wonders out and works late morning.  I call to much, and I need to get better at a mouth call but what do I do, whip it out a week before season and sound bad.  Just ordered two gooserbats and am going to fix my problem
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

lonnie sneed jr.

I don't think there is anything that a man can do wrong, that I have not done at least once. My bigest bad habit is not spitting my snuff out before working a gobbler. I know I have spooked several in my life by raising my head net to spit. In years past, I try to remember to spit the snuff out before working a gobbler. Should do like my wife tells me to, Quit

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

hangitup

Hunting high pressured public land birds in Arkansas i have found more often than not it is best to get in as tight as possible to a bird before setting up on him;  in big open timber of steep terrain it can be challenging to know whether its really worth it to cross that ravine or go up to the next bench on a mountain etc... Its almost always best if you can but it doesn't work if he *might* catch a glimpse of you in the process.  So, I think I try to get too close before setting up on a bird sometimes.. and think I've spooked a few birds without ever knowing it i.e. never saw or heard from them again.  Dunno if they just gobbled a couple times and moved off or if he saw me and bugged out...  Those decisions and efforts are what makes it a lot of fun on some trips for me..

El Pavo Grande

Sticking with one gobbler or hunting spot too long has been a downfall for me at times in the past.

WickedBama

Quote from: lonnie sneed jr. on February 20, 2013, 11:45:55 AM
I don't think there is anything that a man can do wrong, that I have not done at least once. My bigest bad habit is not spitting my snuff out before working a gobbler. I know I have spooked several in my life by raising my head net to spit. In years past, I try to remember to spit the snuff out before working a gobbler. Should do like my wife tells me to, Quit

:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

I need to give up this habit too.
Causes a bad dry mouth on long hunts as well.
Live For It!

paboxcall

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 19, 2013, 12:30:13 AM
For me it's coffee.

Makes me pee every 45 minutes during prime time right after daybreak. :help:

That made me chuckle.  My wife bought me a nice 20 oz. travel mug with a push button lid....so more mornings like the one you described.  I did give up the bowl of cereal with milk for breakfast before heading out the camp door, that just compounded this situation....

I too quickly become impatient when they go quiet and make the next move.  Not always the best tactic.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

birdyhunter

I don't have any bad habits. I kill every turkey I hear;D!!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

WickedBama

Quote from: birdyhunter on February 21, 2013, 08:28:23 AM
I don't have any bad habits. I kill every turkey I hear;D!!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Ok I just figured out your bad habit. ;)!!
Live For It!

dawgfrombama