turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bad habits that cost you birds.........

Started by reflexl, February 18, 2013, 09:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Eric Gregg

guesswho

Quote from: Eric Gregg on February 18, 2013, 07:28:26 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 18, 2013, 07:24:30 PM
Thumping twigs like a paper football.

:icon_thumright:
You must have been bored
I was seeing if I could reach the turkeys.  I was coming up about five to 10 yards short. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Devastator

Probably impatience and calling to much  :-\

Kylongspur88

Sometimes I look with my head instead of my eyes...

Back years ago when I chewed which is a really bad habit I swallowed a wad of Kodiak wintergreen just as a bird was working in.. I think I heard him laughing while I was doubled over gagging and heaving.

Kywoodsman

Not giving the birds time to decide if they are gonna come in or not. In the past I've been the world's worst about thinking I had a bird on the way in and then feeling like they were moving away or not getting any closer and I try to get in position to make something happen. I have since learned that more times than not if you just set tight in that situation you stand a good chance of the bird eventually coming in. I can think of at least 2 times I cost myself birds last year alone because of this.

Eric Gregg

Quote from: guesswho on February 18, 2013, 08:08:29 PM
Quote from: Eric Gregg on February 18, 2013, 07:28:26 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 18, 2013, 07:24:30 PM
Thumping twigs like a paper football.

:icon_thumright:
You must have been bored
I was seeing if I could reach the turkeys.  I was coming up about five to 10 yards short.
You got to make sure that the laces are out.....

ziggy

finkle is einhorn, einhorn is finkle.  einhorn's a man!
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

RutnNStrutn

Looks like most of us, except for Guesswho, of course, :lol: suffer from the same problem. Impatience!! I started out very patient, mostly out of fear of moving, early in my career. Finally, after having more turks walk out of my life than I could stand, I decided to see what I could get away with. It took me a few years to finally push the issue too hard, and I got busted. Nowadays, I usually push too hard about once a season and it costs me. >:(  But overall, my success rate in getting up and going after birds is pretty darn good! Good enough to keep doing it anyway!! :lol: But every time I screw up, I kick myself in the butt, and wish I was more patient.
I also am pretty sure I call way too much, but that's probably not going to change. ;D One of these days, I'm gonna hop in Guesswho's pocket and tag along for a season :turkey2: with only a pad and pen, taking notes. ;) But I'll probably lose my mind when he doesn't call when I think he should, and start calling for him!! :TooFunny: Then he will discover me in his back pocket, and the jig will be up!!! :lol:

Tail Feathers

For me it's coffee.

Makes me pee every 45 minutes during prime time right after daybreak. :help:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Neill_Prater

Moving too quickly, and conversely, just the opposite. I've lost patience and moved when another 10 minutes might have gotten me the gobbler, including several memorable moments when I decided to give up my setup and move, then heard the turkey gobbling from where I had just been. On the other hand, I've made the mistake of trying to wait out birds that are never coming, some of which I am sure I would have been able to kill if I had moved while they were still interested. All this is why I love turkey hunting so much. Each hunt, each turkey, is a unique experience.

WickedBama

Iv been busted to many times by moving on them after sounds like a hang up.
I'm working on patience.   :TrainWreck1:
Live For It!

harvester

Second guessing my setup. Usually the first spot I see that will work, IS the best. Lost several birds by moving to that other "BETTER" tree. Working on toning my calling down for when they get close.

FullChoke

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 19, 2013, 12:30:13 AM
For me it's coffee.

I'd rather light one candle than curse your darkness.

One word for you.

Depends.

I know that Tiffany wears them.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

WickedBama

Quote from: FullChoke on February 19, 2013, 07:29:34 AM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 19, 2013, 12:30:13 AM
For me it's coffee.

I'd rather light one candle than curse your darkness.

One word for you.

Depends.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I know that Tiffany wears them.

FC
Live For It!