Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can anyone suggest a good outfitter for Merriams?.....on a blue collar budget...

Started by arrowslanger, February 17, 2013, 11:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowslanger

I know some of you turkey guru's might can help me out with this.  2 Turkey hunters, and 1 wanna be turkey hunter (that would be me) looking for a good Merriam hunt.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advance

Turkeyman11

Noticed the "blue collar budget" part.  Just wondering if you have considered going solo on public land.  Don't know where you're from but Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and South Dakota are all states that I hunt public land each year with over the counter tags and ample opportunities.  If I can be of any assistance feel free to give me a shout.

chcltlabz

If you're looking for a little more assistance on your hunt, you might consider one of the South Dakota indian reservations.  You have to use a guide on the ones I know about, but its not a full service guided trip.  Pretty good success from what I've heard too.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

arrowslanger

Thanks Turkeyman11.......
I'm from southeast Alabama.  I have two seasons under my belt although last year was the first time that I pulled the trigger.  My buddies have always tried to talk me into turkey hunting before and I was skeptical being a big deer hunter.  Well I'm now hooked on turkey hunting..   It's amazing to say the least.  Myself and two buddies are wanting to Merriam hunt this spring.  I have never hunted public land before.  My family land doesn't have any turkey's on it, so I'm just trying to find good info.   Willing to pay up to 1000.00 for 2 birds, I would like to take one with shotgun and one with my bow.   Also I have never traveled to another state to hunt.

Turkeyman11

Sorry not much help with outfitters.  I always go solo on public land.  Once you start traveling to other states your addiction will grow even stronger.  I love the road tripping to new areas.  There's just something about putting a trip together and making it happen!  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

slamman

Quote from: arrowslanger on February 21, 2013, 04:14:00 PM
Thanks Turkeyman11.......
I'm from southeast Alabama.  I have two seasons under my belt although last year was the first time that I pulled the trigger.  My buddies have always tried to talk me into turkey hunting before and I was skeptical being a big deer hunter.  Well I'm now hooked on turkey hunting..   It's amazing to say the least.  Myself and two buddies are wanting to Merriam hunt this spring.  I have never hunted public land before.  My family land doesn't have any turkey's on it, so I'm just trying to find good info.   Willing to pay up to 1000.00 for 2 birds, I would like to take one with shotgun and one with my bow.   Also I have never traveled to another state to hunt.

If you are serious and interested in New Mexico or Arizona PM me.  I will take you but I will not tell you where to go.  You can get over the counter tags in New Mexico and over the counter tags for Archery only in Arizona.  There may be some left over permits available in Arizona and New Mexico for the Navajo Reservation. 

camotruck

"If you could make money the way you hunt, you'd be a rich man, and I wouldn't worry about you."   .....My Dad shortly before he passed.  Bye Dad  Love ya