OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How about a thread just for the HTL Turkey Loads?

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, February 17, 2013, 03:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

How about a thread where we can brag on the Loads we've been really happy with, and perhaps even compare the different loads we've tried?

I must say that I only tried HTL because I couldn't get 100 pellets in 10" at 40 Yards with 3" Lead offerrings from the big 3 U.S. shell makers, (prior to trying Indian Creek choke tubes).

I tried some Hevi13 #6's, but all BPS had at the time were the 1 5/8 Ounce loads.  They did not impress me, (considering the cost), even after about 20 patterns.  Then I found out that the Old Whites had 1 3/4 Ounces of shot.  That made me mad, but I didn't quit.

I found some Old Whites.  Finally I saw what everyone was talking about.  Then I found the Bronze 2 Ounce shells.  They shot about the same.  Then I found the Bronze 1 3/4 Ounce shells.  They shot about the same.  All 3 of those loads are good in #6's.  Stay away from the 1 5/8 Ounce load.

I tried the 2 Ounce H13 #7's.  They were awesome!!!  I've never seen anything else like it.  I tried the Magnum Blends, and they were better than any of the #6 H13 loads (for me), and always seem easier to find than #7's.  I prefer #7's, but Magnum Blend is my "plan B" load.

I tried the original Winchester Extended Range High Density #5's, but they only patterned a little better than #5 Lead.  I tried some of the newer Supreme Elite XRHD #6's, and they were as good as Magnum Blend (for me).

Somewhere along the way I tried the Remington High Density #6 Turkey load.  The patterns were not near as good as Hevi13, Win XRHD, or Magnum Blend.  Even the 3.5" Remington HD load couldn't compare to the 3" loads by Hevi13 or Win.

Magnum Blend seems to be the strongest seller among HTL loads in central Mississippi.  The #7's are even better, IMHO, but they are harder to find.

I don't think it matters whether you use H13 #7's, H13 #6's, XRHD #6's, or Magnum Blend.  The outcome is very good either way.  Don't panic if you can't find "THE" shell on store shelves.  All of these loads are winners, whether 2 Ounces or 1 3/4 Ounces.

Tom Foolery

I shot the old Rem Hevishot 3" #6's in my 870.  I got an 835 and tried the 3.5" #6's and they were not that great.  Win HV lead 3.5" #6's give me 140-150 and the Hevi shot was 160 or so.  I tried Win XRHD 3.5" #6's and they were 160-170, I tried 3.5" Hevi13 #6's and they were 170-180, I tried 3.5" #7 and they are 270-300.  Any and all of those loads will devastate a turkey at sane distances so it really doesn't matter. 

If I'm shooting HTL I shoot #7's for the simple fact it gives me more pellets in the air and on target and the #6's will kill no better.  None will shoot through brush/grass/weeds any better so it's a wash.   Same reason I shoot #6 in lead. 

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quotemore pellets in the air and on target

I hear you bro.