OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A little more decoy painting

Started by jblackburn, February 16, 2013, 11:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblackburn

Well, the Pretty Boy Jr that I ordered from wing supply came in and all in all, I really like they way it looked, except for the head color.  Kind of like my jakemobile, too white (IMO).  So I decided to add some red too this one too.  What do you think?

Right out of the box:

Head Shot, Before

Head Shot, After

It is not nearly as "dramatic" of a change as the jakemobile, but I think it looks a little better.  I like the way the head (and the whole decoy) is made, just was not a fan of the color scheme.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

FullChoke

I agree that the decoy is a far better bargain when compared to the other exorbitantly high priced DeScDoys. I also was not impressed with the paint, and concluded that Qui Tsong was just doing the best she could having to work from a grainy photograph. I repainted mine after doing some research into what would be the most appropriate message that a jake would covey with various head and caruncle coloration patterns.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

appalachianstruttstopper

Looks great, I paint all my jakes and strutting gobbler decoys to be more of a passive look. I had a jake to jump my b-mobile after painting it red instead of the white that came original. I think it makes a huge difference in how other turkeys react. The head color is where it's at.

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Gawhitaker

Shakey Jake

Looks great! I just had to touch mine up a lil bit. My friend jakebird actually cut the head off his jake decoy n replaced it with a molded head from a real turkey.

pitch black

ok found the paint at wally, now do you rough up the area you going to paint, if so, what do you use? thanks

The Painter

Use some 400 gt. or better yet a Scott bright pad to rough it up a bit. You do not was a gloss paint. So if it comes out to glossy take a bit of fine steel wool and go over it.
I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
::: Andrew Wyeth :::
ColonialRestorationStudio.com

jblackburn

Quote from: pitch black on February 18, 2013, 11:50:10 AM
ok found the paint at wally, now do you rough up the area you going to paint, if so, what do you use? thanks

I used a scotch pad.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

BHMTitan

Specifically, which paint are you using from Wally World??  Spray  paint?  Color?

jblackburn

Quote from: BHMTitan on February 19, 2013, 04:07:27 PM
Specifically, which paint are you using from Wally World??  Spray  paint?  Color?

This:

Acrylic outdoor paint from the craft/hobby section.  I believe the red was called Engine Red.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Timberland Taxidermy

You guys are on the right track. You don't want it too white, but at the same tome you don't want it bright red. Here is how I paint my heads. Very dull and bland. I've tried them all, and this one works 99% of the time.

BHMTitan

Quote from: jblackburn on February 19, 2013, 07:32:47 PM

Acrylic outdoor paint from the craft/hobby section.  I believe the red was called Engine Red.
Thanks!! I got the same Pretty Boy Jr.  Everything on it looks great except the head colors.