OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recoil reducer ideas for mossberg 535

Started by WickedBama, February 16, 2013, 10:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captin_hook

Funny you say that bama, I wasn't going to tell anyone, but my buddy bought a brand new 338 ultra mag for Canadian bear hunting and I sighted it in with him. The 535 hit me harder than the ultra mag. For real.

Old Gobbler

Load up the magazine of your turkey gun when patterning  , it will add a pound or two where it is needed -- It helps

Get a good recoil pad

hold on tight !!  :fud:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

whiskey

Quote from: WickedBama on February 17, 2013, 08:14:41 PM
Quote from: whiskey on February 17, 2013, 07:22:44 PM
Do you ladies shoot much? The 535 ain't that bad. :)

Everyone needs to shoot one now and then to knock the demons out of their brains.

I don't enjoy practicing with 3.5, but I don't notice the kick in the woods. I like carrying the 535 way more than others. I put a sims pad on mine and that helped a lot.

LoL. whiskey must be imortal or never shoots anything other than a 535 cause its deffinatly the hardest kicking gun on the market and i shoot a 300rum frequently

No, I am just full of BS. :)

I just don't shoot it much since finding the right shell/choke combo.

WickedBama

But who's really taking the time to think of a kick when a longbeard is 30 yards away
Live For It!

rpinks

I shoot the 535 for turkey due to a shoulder injury where i lost 90% of my strength in left shoulder. I needed a very light gun to hold up and steady turkey hunting. I put a gel pad on it from Clark Bush allaboutshooting. I also put a bear comb raising kit. Its no problem to shoot 4 to 5 times a year hunting. When I dial it in i have it in a led sled. 1 to 2 shots to make shure ff still on and 4 to 5 for the long beards. I love the gun. My benelli shoots good also but I struggle to hold it up when working a bird.
Thanks, RP

chatterbox

A 3.5'' Magnum turkey load punches out 66 foot pounds of recoil out of an 8 lb pump shotgun. A .458 Win Mag weighing 10 lbs punches out 53 foot pounds of recoil.
Now the .458 was made to kill the largest mammals that walk the planet.
The 535 weighs much less than 8 pounds.
I shot a 3.5" shell out of my 535. Once.

CASH

"Mommy! My shotgun kicks too hard"!

Seriously though, you'll never realize it while shooting at a gobbler. For bench shooting, get good recoil pad, I like the Limbsaver on my mine. For cheek slap, I put one of these on. It helped a lot. http://www.kickeezproducts.com/cheek-eez.php

I also jammed cotton balls into my stock. It takes out the hollow "knock" in the stock. Doesn't do anything for weight really, but doesn't sound like rapping your knuckles on something hollow in the woods anymore.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

joker

A good kicking pad will help quite a bit, but without adding weight that thing is going to kick. Consider the shells you are using, 2.25 oz at 1200 fps. An oz is 437 gr. With the wad and buffer that is over 1000 gr going 1200 fps!  A good 3" lighter payload htl shell would kick much less and kill at 40 yds easy. I have a 1 5/8 oz hevi #6 Remington load in the classifieds that shoots great to 40+ and has very mild kick, great for a new shooter or lighter gun. For my  big 3.5" ers I like a 8 lb gass gun.

WickedBama

Iv shot the gun so many times now I think I'm getting used to it not as bad as the first impression. No doubt it's still a hammer.
Live For It!

goblr77

The 535 is the only gun I ever got rid of because of recoil. An 835 or 870 is a pussycat compared to that gun.