OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SC season open in 2 weeks

Started by marks2000z71, March 04, 2011, 09:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marks2000z71

So the SC season opens in 2 weeks. I just started scouting some areas last weekend. I walked probably 4 to 6 miles of roads and open woods briefly hitting my locater calls. However I heard not the first gobble.  There was very little sign, but I'm sure they are there. My brother seen a 5 gobblers together crossing a road (2 to 3 year old) He also went this morning and threw out a few kee kees and before he knew it a gobbler and a hen came up within 75 yards. He said they kee kee back at him but by then it was to late. He waited them out and got out of there without spooking them. No gobbling though. I'm planning on goin to do a little more scoutin in the morning. Hopfully I will hear one. Just wondering if anyone huntin in SC has heard any gobbling yet or is it still a little early?

Sherrell

At my camp in middle Georgia,I've heard they've been tearing it up.going to hit Florida the first week and then taking a couple friends to my Georgia camp.
I believe it should get good for you real soon and wish you much luck.

marks2000z71

Sherrell
                  Just wondering what part of GA you hunting in? I have a friend that hunts in Macon and I went up there last year for a 3 day hunt and had a blast. Didn't kill anything but was on about 8 to 10 different birds and got some pretty good video. We are planning on doing it again this year in the first week of April.

Sherrell

My club is in the Flint river valley(Crawford county)....25 miles west of Macon.
Those Eastern's are a blast up there though

RutnNStrutn

My partner was up at our place in the Lowcountry last week. He saw strutters and in the mornings they were hammering!! I can't wait!!!! :icon_thumright: :) :turkey2: :fud:

trash2

going off in the great w'boro area. heard a bunch north as well

marks2000z71

Well I guessing it probably because of the 4 Wheeler gang we have riding on our club. 10 to 15 guys do it every year after deer season because they have nothing else better to do besides trying to piss off what few turkey hunters there is hunting on our club. They have been riding just about every sat. plus we have a couple of wanna be coon hunters turning loose fri and sat nights. I cant say much because we made a rule at our annual meeting that there is no atv or coon hunting activity once turkey season begins. I did see to Gobblers this afternoon but that's about it. Still no gobbles.  Guess I need to hit up the WMA areas to do a little scouting but season doesn't open until April 1 

joshua

Going listening Tues. morning around SNF.  Will let you know if I hear anything.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

TheTwistedOne

Can't hunt where I have been hunting the last ten years opening day.  There will be a fundraiser hunt that was donated at auction this year.  I can't really complain the hunt was donated for a good cause.  Right now I'm scrambling for another place to hunt or wait until this hunt is over.

dirtnap

They are gobbling.  I have been listening a few times in Berkeley county since March 1.  Heard gobbling every time. 

3chunter

I am ready for it...but got more scoutin to do.

DMP

Got till April 1st up this way. >:( ::) :'(

kershawbuck

Yep April the 1st for me too! But I have been hearing birds gobble everytime I have been out to listen! And saw some strutters too! I hunt in Chesterfield Co and Kershaw Co . Wish I had a spot in the low country to go early but oh well!!! LOL

savduck

Saw 9 big longbeards in a freshly tilled field off 17 A outside Cottagville this am.

They are gobbling. Still in winter flocks though.
Georgia Boy

marks2000z71

savduck
I seen them birds out there before myself. I dont think anyone hunts them though. Do you hurt around this area? Are you apart of a club on this side of town? I hunt off Jacksonboro Hwy just outside cottageville area. I am looking for some new places to hunt