OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where's the perfect place for a turkey hunter to live?

Started by barry, February 13, 2013, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

I got to thinking if I was to live somewhere else I would want it to be where I could easily access some of the best turkey huntin' States with very liberal limits. I don't know about you but I would be somewhere in the vicinity of where Alabama, Georgia and Tenn join. Along with theses 3 States you could easily drive to SC, KY and MS. That would put you in the middle of some fine huntin' for Eastern birds. I would also need about 8 weeks of vacation!

jakesdad

I like livin in MO,but if I had to move,I might pick central OK.Good hunting in OK,close to KS,TX,MO and not horribly far from MS,TN,or KY.Any place with turkeys is a good place to me though!! :happy0064:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

deerhunt1988

North MS/West TN

Can start the season on March 15th in MS, then hit up TN on ~March 30, Kentucky ~April 15, Missouri a couple days later, then make a trip out west in May.

Hognutz

It sure as heck isn't Wi.. The hunting is good, but the season structure and permit system are not!!

With that being said, I would opt for Al, Tn, Tx, Mo, or Va. Not necessarily in that order..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

redarrow

SW Ky,NE Tenn. Near the LBL.Got friends in Cadiz,Ky. and I love that area.

Spring_Woods

I'm not sure because I haven't got out a whole lot. From what I've read Kentucky and Missouri have healthy populations.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

jblackburn

Quote from: jakesdad on February 13, 2013, 12:07:23 PM
I like livin in MO,but if I had to move,I might pick central OK.Good hunting in OK,close to KS,TX,MO and not horribly far from MS,TN,or KY.Any place with turkeys is a good place to me though!! :happy0064:

I grew up in Missouri and loved it!  But now that I live in central OK, it is pretty good turkey hunting!  Rios all over the place, two - three hours southeast I can be on easterns, and there are Merriams in the panhandle!  Plus, I'm only an hour from Kansas and there is a lot of good hunting in southern KS!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

J Hook Max

I feel like I live in the perfect place here in South Alabama.
I have turkeys right out my back door and it is an easy drive to other states that are excellent turkey hunting.
The bag limits and seasons are also a plus.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: CASH on February 13, 2013, 01:15:36 PM
THERE ARE NOOOOOOOO TURKEYS IN ALABAMA!!

AMEN!!!!

Alabama does have a long season and a good bag limit. However, at least here in south alabama, those 5 turkeys don't come easy. I have hunted out of stated twice now and killed my limits in both states in consecutive days. Most seasons here in AL it takes all 45 days of season to kill 5 and some years there aren't 5 to be had!

turkey_slayer

I like where I live. Im within an hour drive of north carolina, tennessee, west virginia, and kentucky is close by. Liberal bag limits and long seasons. Only downside is other than tennessee the other states open bout the same time and end about the same other than west virginia which starts crazy late. Alabama is about 5 hours drive so Im hoping to start hunting there next year since it opens a few weeks before tennessee and about a month before us. AND THERE ARE TURKEYS IN ALABAMA OR THEY WOULDNT HAVE A SEASON  ;D

J Hook Max

Daman ,
You are right on. I have had to work for nearly all the birds I have killed here at home. They will make you a better hunter though.

ccleroy

mudhen

Slam dunk for me, Kansas City, Kansas....

11 tom tags within a few hours drive....

More public land than you could hunt in 10 lifetimes...

But, you would have to like the area, not much to it unless you like to hunt & fish.  I have non-hunting friends who absolutely hate the midwest.....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka