OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Haint Gobble Reviews

Started by chrisg2709, February 12, 2013, 09:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisg2709

Does anyone have anything to say about the down-n-dirty haint gobble? I'm thinking I buying one, just wanted to see if there were any likes/dislikes.

swampgobbler

here's the thing.  It doesn't play like any other call you've used.  it doesn't sound realistic (to me) up close, but I like it better farther away.  IMO, the price isn't worth it.  You can spend the same amount of money on a nice tube call that will not only gobble, but do everything else. 

RIO329

i gobble with a legacy fatal attraction dia. call most realistic gobble once you master it

chrisg2709

here's the thing.  It doesn't play like any other call you've used.  it doesn't sound realistic (to me) up close, but I like it better farther away.  IMO, the price isn't worth it.  You can spend the same amount of money on a nice tube call that will not only gobble, but do everything else.

What would you recommend? I have a shaker but don't really like the sound, having to use so much movement to use it, or the bulkiness.

swampgobbler

I'd learn to use a tube call.  minimal movement and can make any sound a turkey can

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

chrisg2709

I've tried that but fluttering my tongue on the reed makes my tongue itch. "Weird I guess"

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: skos29 on February 12, 2013, 10:32:22 AM
It is a stupid call to rid gullable people of their money.

Wow...  Maybe you were thinking of the squealing hen or the turkey whistle.  Have you watched the video on youtube of this call?  I talked to Jody at Down and Dirty and listened to him play one of the calls over the phone.  If you don't hear turkey in that call, you might want to listen to some real turkeys.  I heard a local guy play one of the walnut calls and one of the polycarbonate (plastic) ones.  Although he quickly admitted that he hadn't been playing with them long, you could definitely hear turkey tone.  The polycarbonate call actually had a better tone in his hands. 

I'll never own a squealing hen call, but I have a couple of the Haint calls on the way...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

rotalley

I love the Haint, when I walked into the NWTF national convention last year thats the first thing I heard and when I saw that it wasnt a real turkey but a turkey call I had to have one. I spent about an hour with the call and the video and I feel like I can gobble as good as the Down n Dirty boys. Excellent call. Ive heard lots of turkeys gobble at a gobble shaker tube, to me the haint is a better locator call hands down. I havent tried to call a turkey to the gun with it yet.

drenalinld

The DnD guys do not sound like a turkey to me because the cadence is too fast. It does project powerfully like an Eastern/Osceola gobble. The "jake yelping" they do on it is silly. I know a couple guys who can run it with slower cadence and it sounds pretty good to me. I much prefer tube gobbles or mouth call gobbles like Joe does.

swampgobbler

I kind of feel the same way. I think the cadence is a little too fast.

StruttinGobbler3

Here's my opinion. I may ruffle a few feathers with this, and if so I apologize in advance. I'm not targeting or attacking anyone with this statement, just my opinions. With that said, I think most of the people who tell you that this call is junk do so because they never learned to use it properly. I will admit, it is a challenge to blow correctly, and it's not like any other turkey call you've used before. It seems to me that some people have the ability to use it correctly, and some do not. That simple. However, if you are able to use it, you can make the most realistic, booming gobbles that can be made short of a real gobbler. I know some say the cadence is too fast, and it can be if you blow it incorrectly. You can overcome that by learning to slow your tongue flutter, but it takes a lot of practice. I bought this call shortly after it was introduced and have spent many hours with it. More than once I almost threw it in the trash, but once I figured it out, I had it. It became easy. It's just a matter of learning to use it the right way. As far as DND's theory of calling birds to the gun with it, well I'm not convinced of that. There are times I have gobbled at a bird I was working as a last resort, and there are times I have seen it work, but i wouldn't use it as my first line tactic on a gobbler. If the bird you are calling to is a sub-dominant gobbler, then gobbling at him can easily make him tuck tail and go the other direction. I believe this tactic is only useful on a dominant bird, a true boss gobbler. And even then, I don't believe it will always work. Nothing "always" works on a turkey. However, this is an outstanding locator call. I have used it many times to roost a bird, and just at daylight to locate birds. Many times I've heard a ridgeline or hardwood bottom light up with gobbling after ripping one out with the haint. So, take these words as you will, it is merely my opinion. Good luck with your choice. By the way Joe, that is some awesome gobbling on that mouth call. Not many people are capable of that with a diaphragm, I'm surely not.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Clay

I posted this in a different thread, but it still holds true....

I bought a Haint last year because I was eager to go to a more durable alternative than a shaker and was hoping to have a more flexible and realistic sound.  What I found is that I should have just set my $40 on fire and thrown it out the window - would have ended up with just as much money missing from my wallet, but less frustration.  The Haint was very difficult to get working and then was VERY volume sensitive.  If you blow too hard on it, the think shuts down and you just get a squack vs. a gobble.  Absolutely the worst purchase I've made in years....  my $0.02..

TauntoHawk

is anyone running the Hale fire the way they tell you to run the haint? with the pressurized air and tounge flutter over the tooka tika they say to use for the Hale Fire. I can get a decent mouth call gobble and I even used it to bring two birds in last year. But I cant get it very loud so its not a good locator call, I have the hale fire and wonder about the haint.

I started doing the haint way with the hale fire and really used my hands to control the sound candance, wasnt half bad after 5min.

Joe possess a true talent with that mouth call gobble, but I heard he has the trophy to prove it now too
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TNhunterKMC

Quote from: skos29 on February 12, 2013, 10:32:22 AM
It is a stupid call to rid gullable people of their money.

HARDEST call I've ever tried to use.  Still can't get it.   Knew something was up when watching their video and the guy mentions about 100 times about how easy it is to use - says on a scale of 1-10 it is about a 2.  I'd say it is about a 20.

I put it on par with the dog whistle call from MAD.