OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you use a decoy?

Started by WyoHunter, March 04, 2011, 08:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you use a decoy?

Yes
No
Not legal in my state

WyoHunter

I carry two decoys with me but very seldom use them it seems. How many of you use or favor decoys in setting up for a gobbler?
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

EliteArkHunter

i use to carry all kinds and seems like i have better luck being sneaky and not having to deal with one, and i can move faster and quieter

Odessa

About half the time I will take a hen decoy - light foam body that folds up easily.  I bought a similar Jake a year ago, but haven't ever used it (probably try it out this season).
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

turkey slayer

Quote from: EliteArkHunter on March 04, 2011, 08:43:43 PM
i use to carry all kinds and seems like i have better luck being sneaky and not having to deal with one, and i can move faster and quieter
:agreed:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

TrackeySauresRex

Voted  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an  No... however, sometimes verry rarely yes
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

magicman

I usually carry one, but don't always put it out. I hunt some pretty large fields some and they do come in handy in those situations. If I hunt up in the woods, I rarely put one out.

allchokedup

Yes, I use decoys. I have hunted with out them and killed bird's but, I just get the biggest thrill out of watching that old gobbler come to my decoys and fall in love.

stilker

a hen could be useful sometimes, but haven't carried any for 4 or 5 seasons now

dawgfrombama

Never.  I'm 38 and I have never killed a turkey in front of a decoy.  I've only carried them with me once and I did not use them

spaightlabs

drag a Dave Smith hen and Jake with me everywhere I go.

knightrider

i use them for a back rest while they are in my vest when im hunting woods, i use them alot midday in the field edges though :you_rock:

alloutdoors

Most of the places I hunt the birds head for fields first thing in the morning, or they are already roosting along a field and pitch right down into it so I usually start the day over some decoys.  If things don't pan out I'll take one hen decoy (which I may or may not end up using) with me and go searching for a bird.  I like either way just fine, but there's something about getting to watch a bird work in to some dekes strutting and gobbling the whole way that I will never get tired of.

njdevilsb

hoyt

I used them in the past, but got tired of fooling with them and don't haven't used one in 5 or 6 yrs.

If I hunted out of a blind and especially in and around pastures I probably would, but hunt public land woods so don't bother with them anymore.