OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

whats the best cost efficient choke for 870?

Started by neverstopchasin, February 09, 2013, 10:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: bunk on February 10, 2013, 11:43:39 AM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 10, 2013, 05:45:00 AM
No doubt in my mind dollar for dollar the Rem .655 Ventilator would by far be the best shooting choke.  Jelly Heads cost about twice as much.  And in my 28" barrel 870 the Ventilator would beat both the .660 or .665 Jelly Head by quite a bit.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/956890.htm
I've been wanting to try one of these myself sense I went back to lead. I've seen some on here post up some good results with the Ventilator. I've been shooting Hevy 7s with the Jelly Head  and getting over 300 in the 10" at 40yrds.. I don't know if it will beat that with Hevy 7s but with the 655 exit diameter it may do better with lead 6s. My 660 Jelly Head didn't like the lead 6s but did well with the 5s.

Your talking about 3.5" 2.25oz loads of 7's I take it.  I'm talking about the 3" 2oz loads. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's one I shot with the Ventilator on a cool 45 degree day wiith only a Hevi-13 3" 1.75oz load of 6's at 40yds taped.  Again it would take a super great choke to beat that with that small of load in that cool of temp. 

Chris Downs

Lotta 870s in the woods among me and my buddies.  We have a variety of chokes and looking at all of them on paper, I wouldn't be afraid to go into the woods with any of them.  I shoot a Kicks GT .655 with Win Supreme HV 3.5" #5s.  One guy shoots a Primos Jellyhead, not sure of the constriction, and it is MEAN.  Two other buddies use Indian Creek and heavy stuff...both are NASTY!!!  BTW...three of the four guns use the 23" barrel and the Jellyhead is threaded into a 26" barrel.

J Hook Max

Wingbone

I have three 870 turkey guns, and I mainly use the one that has the Indian Creek BD in it. It's incredible, but I'm considering dropping the dime on a Jellyhead .660. I've never shot it, but too many people like them for it to not be what they say it is. If you are looking for the cheapest, "good" choke, I'd go with the Undertaker, though ILIKEHEVI's pics from the Ventilator are very persuasive as well in that price range. For middle of the road chokes, I'd say go with the Jellyhead or the HEVI-SHOT choke. At the top of the range, I've yet to see one I like better than the IC.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

bunk

Yes, 31/2-2.25oz 7s but your paper in the pic is 11"x11" with 316 hits on it. Not a 10" circle.  Either way the Ventilator looks like a great choke for for $20 if you shoot hevy shot but Rem. recommends lead only. I know just like the Kicks people shoot htl. threw them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

281 in a 10" I think was the best the Ventilator has done at 40yds.  That's smokin in my honest opinion from a 2oz load of 7's. 

Jbird22

I own the following for my 23" bbl 870 SuperMag:
- Kick's .655
- Primos Jellyhead .665
- Truglo SSX .643
- Rem Ventilator .655
- Rem SF (non Hevi approved) .665
- Rem SF (Hevi approved) .675

With lead, the Kick's .655 is best by a narrow margin. With Hevi-13 (6's or 7's), the Jellyhead .665 is BY FAR the best! But, I found out a few years ago that the winner of the #'s game doesn't automatically make a choke the best choice in a hunting situation. My choke of choice since the beginning of last season has been the the Rem SF (Hevi approved). For my hunting situations, mostly 30 yd shots or less, a slightly more open choke is ideal. Honestly, it all depends on what your hunting situations are like.

To answer your question, for my $ both the Jellyhead .665 and Rem SF (Hevi approved) are both worth having. Now that I have a Burris Speedbead on my 870, I'd have more confidence shooting the tighter patterning Jellyhead .665 than when I was using the Truglo rifle style sights.

neverstopchasin

anyone use the truglo gobble stopper? got a buddy gonna let me have one but that may not be a good sign

runngun

Contact Clark, allaboutshooting he loves those chokes. You could just try your full or modified with Federal flite controls. They could very well be all you need.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Both the Jelly Head .665 and .660 did right at 200 shot in a 10" with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads out of my 870 at 40yds.  That's why I'm not fond of either of the Jelly Head chokes at least in my 28" polished barrel.  Now the Jelly Head .690 in my 835 did 268 shot in a 10" with 3.5" Hevi-13 2.25oz #7 loads which isn't bad, and the overall pattern was excellent. 

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Sumtoy .650

Jellyhead .660

Rhino .660

Onpoint

I run a .660 sumtoy in my 25" 870 and my ole lady shoots a .665 jellyhead. I've got another choke that does good but I like my sumtoy a lil better. It's a .675 Remington hevishot choke. I used to run xtended range through that choke with good results. I've heard that it does well with the heavyweights too. I can't say for sure cuz I never shot em. For the money though you can't go wrong with the jellyhead.

nate12285

ILIKEHEVI-13

And here's my other choice.  I paid I think a little less than $30 shipped for this MAD Super Max .675 choke.  This has been the best shooting Hevi-13 #7 choke I have found in warm temp of 70 degrees or warmer.  This is the best it has done at a tape measured 40yds with a 3" Hevi-13 2oz #7 load.  That will rival a lot of 3.5" guns with 2.25oz Hevi-13 7's.  I originally counted this 10" pattern at 318.  But I ended up going with the conservative 297 due to what I thought were snowman pellets.  But it's somewhere in that range.