Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

whats the best cost efficient choke for 870?

Started by neverstopchasin, February 09, 2013, 10:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neverstopchasin

was just wondering what kinda luck some of yall have had with chokes in 870's.

Ticklishtompro

I have an Undertaker in my 870 and it shoots a very nice pattern out to about 40 yards with Winchester Supreme 3" #6's.  There are so many new choke tubes out there now since I got that one that your options are endless.  The Gobble stopper is one I have heard quite a few good things about.  The patternmaster is another great choke.  If you don't want to spend to much though, the undertaker is around $20-30 and shoots good.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff

jblackburn

I have an Indian Creek, but it's not what I would call budget.  I've heard good things about the undertaker.

I have a buddy that has shoots a factory full with number 4 leads and it patterns great.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Rio Fan

I have an 870 that used to be my main turkey gun for years.  I always used the factory x-full choke that came with the gun.  Hevi shot 3 inch #5's with that choke is a deadly combination.

birdyhunter

I had a jellyhead in mine and with hevishot #5's it was a killer.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

bunk

Jelly Head  660 for me. You can spend more but you can't buy better for a Rem. 870. Just my opinion. The Indian Creek 665 is a good one but nearly double the price of the Jelly Head. There are many quality chokes out there.

TRKYHTR

Jellyhead .660 as well for both of my 870's.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

ILIKEHEVI-13

No doubt in my mind dollar for dollar the Rem .655 Ventilator would by far be the best shooting choke.  Jelly Heads cost about twice as much.  And in my 28" barrel 870 the Ventilator would beat both the .660 or .665 Jelly Head by quite a bit.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/956890.htm

Gamblinman

Jellyhead .660 have worked well in 870's for me.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

renegade19

I bought a Truglo Gobble Stopper Extreme at Wal-Mart years ago.  It's been in my 870 ever since.  Think I paid $20 for it at the time?  You'll hear good and bad about Truglo.  This one happens to work really well for me. BTW, it's a .665

Deputy 14

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 10, 2013, 05:45:00 AM
No doubt in my mind dollar for dollar the Rem .655 Ventilator would by far be the best shooting choke.  Jelly Heads cost about twice as much.  And in my 28" barrel 870 the Ventilator would beat both the .660 or .665 Jelly Head by quite a bit.

^^^ This ^^^

opster246

I shot my first turkey with a pattern master choke tube - OK pattern at 40 yds.  Then tried a Primos tight wad, shot 3 turkeys with that one at 35-40 yds.  Did fine and for about $20 was better than the patternmaster.  My dad bought a Primos Jelly head for his Rem. 11-87.  I tried it in my 870 and for 2X the $, I thought I would stick with the Tight Wad, untill I saw the patterns from my buddies Kick's Gobblin' Thunder.  That's whats in my gun now and shoots a better pattern that all of the above - but cost more $.  All that said, if you are on a budget, the $20 Tight Wad will kill any turkey with-in your effective range (determined by an honest patterning run).  Mine worked well at 40 yds. with Winchester 3.5" #5's.

longspur

If you plan on shooting htl be sure your choke is rated for it.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I think I paid $23 shipped for my Rem Ventilator .655 choke.  Now I don't have it anymore.  I gave it to my buddy Mark's, son, Spencer, who needed it more than I did.  But here's how that choke would shoot at a tape measured 40yds with a good lot of Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's.  This target was a 11" x 11" exactly.  Any choke with that load would be hard pressed to beat that at the exact same true distance of 40yds from tip of choke to target. 

Now just to show you how good that truly is since it's sort of hard to tell, here's the backside of that target.  It's the one on the left.

That should put things in better perspective of how well that choke would and can shoot. 

bunk

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 10, 2013, 05:45:00 AM

I've been wanting to try one of these myself sense I went back to lead. I've seen some on here post up some good results with the Ventilator. I've been shooting Hevy 7s with the Jelly Head  and getting over 300 in the 10" at 40yrds.. I don't know if it will beat that with Hevy 7s but with the 655 exit diameter it may do better with lead 6s. My 660 Jelly Head didn't like the lead 6s but did well with the 5s.