turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas DIY Rio hunt

Started by cohuttahunter, February 09, 2013, 07:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cohuttahunter

I am looking for a DIY hunt in Kansas for Rios.  Anyone have information they would like to share? i have heard Kansas has some walk in areas and it looks like some public land would be available also.  Just looking for a general area to start researching for the spring of 2014.

jblackburn

Lots of areas with lots of birds!  Get a copy of the atlas, for sure.  I have had luck around Lovewell state park, but be sure you have a Thermacell!  I have never gotten into mosquitos like that before!  CRAZY!  Some other buddies have had good luck around Kanopolis, too.

I have also killed birds on 20 acre WIHA patches.  Basically, we will pick a large WIHA or state park as a "base" camp and we will road scout the small WIHA areas looking for birds or birdy places to hunt.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

cohuttahunter

Thanks for the info.  Where the public areas well marked?

Neill_Prater

If you go to the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks website, you can pull up their Spring Turkey Atlas. I'm guessing it is ready by now, or will be shortly. Also, there is an application whereby you can transfer all the WIHA's (walk in hunting areas) for the whole state into Google Earth so that the boundary lines are outlined in red, which allows you to do some "satellite scouting". Pretty cool.

opster246

WIHA's are marked well with signs.  Do just like said above, get the WIHA guide and go!

jblackburn

Yep, Kansas does a really good job marking the areas.  You can look at the atlas online and print maps, but I usually just send them an email an ask for a printed copy of the whole atlas. 

They only thing I thinkg I should clear up is that there is a difference in WIHA and Spring Turkey WIHA grounds.  The "good" signs are the red ones with the turkey like in above picture.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.