OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many of y'all have been hit by a snake?

Started by Basser69, March 04, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunterturf

If u boys want more than snake boots, check out wicks waders....waterproof and more importantly snake proof.  My buddy bought 300 acres with 100 of it being swamp.  Long story short, we caught 38 beavers ( insert joke here) and proceeded to spend most of the summer clearing out dams and killing a lot of moccasins.  120 in 4 weekends.  Not one attempted bite.  By the last weekend we trusted the boots enough to kick at them, thank God none of them struck at me    :toothy12:

HARDCORE

I've had a close call or two myself, nothing too serious though. I must smell and or taste bad, to rattlers especially.  ;D

C.A.S.H., if you ever want to hunt the promise land again you will keep your piehole SHUT!

HC

nativeks

Got struck at by a massassagua rattler at work last summer. There are boatloads of rattlers and copperheads at work. Actually had a guy get struck, but luckily it hit right where the top of his boot and pantleg met. There was a wet spot the size of a dime where the snake hit.

WickedBama

Scarey stuff luckily iv always spotted him before getting to close
Live For It!

Onpoint

3 years ago in july I got bit on the hand by a cottonmouth. Talk about painful. I still have problems with my hand to this day. He didn't get alot of venom in me. One fang went in and the other just scratched the skin a little bit, and I'm still dumb enough to handle em.

allchokedup

Copperhead got me on the foot while blowing leaves around a wood pile. Dr. looked at it and said the sucker didn't put much venom in, probably because it was cool weather in October??? My foot was purple and black for a long time. I got lucky!

Neill_Prater

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 05, 2011, 08:29:14 PM
never bitten,but been struck 13 times over the years
4 times squirrel hunting
3 times deer hunting
6 times duck hunting
0 times turkey hunting

You're like that guy that I saw on a talk show way back in the 70's that had been hit something like 9 times by lightning.  :o I've never seen but two poisionous snakes in the wild in my life, a copperhead here in MO, and a tiny prairie rattler in KS. I hunt Alabama, but am always there early in the season, and seldom see a snake of any kind.

JamesG

first year I bought snake boots I tried them out on purpose in Texas with a Diamondback and again with the second pair with a Georgia timber.
they work lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2

Rio Fan

Wow, I feel very fortunate to not have to worry about snakes where I turkey hunt.  I do hunt in bear, cougar, and wolf country, but I don't have to worry about accidentally stepping on one of those critters.  ;D

WNM

I've run across more copperheads and cottonmouths that I can count. Killed a few when I was younger and thought it was cool. I wouldn't kill any kind of snake now unless it was by my house and I had small children..

J Hook Max

Never have and I have been turkey hunting since 1969. I have walked through some of the swampiest areas of the Deep South and the rattlesnake filled woods of South Alabama.
This past spring, I stepped on top of a large timber rattler and he did not strike at me. Why? I guess I was just lucky.