Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many of y'all have been hit by a snake?

Started by Basser69, March 04, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade19

Speaking of hits, bites and snakeboots, would my Lacrosse Alpha burlys stop a strike?

Horner

This is a great thread..........I have always been very jealous of you southern boys because of all the ducks you have to hunt.  I am from Ohio and I think that I was born to hunt ducks, but stuck in an area with no ducks to hunt........LOL.

Anyway after reading this I think I am happy where I am at, just because of all the snakes you guys have got to deal with.

I hate snakes, I think if someone caught me on tape dispatching a black snake, they could make a workout video out of it..........  Nothing like going to work on one!!!!!

We have a few copperheads up here, but nothing like you guys have got to deal with.  As for the other species you have......I think if I had a rattler anywhere close to me, I would pass out!!!

WickedBama

Quote from: Horner on March 08, 2011, 07:57:58 AM
This is a great thread..........I have always been very jealous of you southern boys because of all the ducks you have to hunt.  I am from Ohio and I think that I was born to hunt ducks, but stuck in an area with no ducks to hunt........LOL.

Anyway after reading this I think I am happy where I am at, just because of all the snakes you guys have got to deal with.

I hate snakes, I think if someone caught me on tape dispatching a black snake, they could make a workout video out of it..........  Nothing like going to work on one!!!!!

We have a few copperheads up here, but nothing like you guys have got to deal with.  As for the other species you have......I think if I had a rattler anywhere close to me, I would pass out!!!

I'd rather have a rattler close than a cotton mouth
At least you get a warning from a rattler sometimes
Live For It!

Ded Goblr

Have had some of bird dogs get bit by rattlers, sure does mess up your hunt not to mention the dog.. Got a BIG cotton mouth in my minnow seine while seining fantails on Medina Airbase in 85' big around as my thigh, he was one PO'd snake but was able to get out of the water before he got me. Close enough to get the pucker factor.. Glad there aren't any of those nasty buggers here.

Spring_Woods

Quote from: forester on March 06, 2011, 02:22:23 PM
Man some of you guys just must not be livin right. I am a forester and spend a lot of time in the woods (30 years) and have been struck at once and not hit. Never owned a pair of snake boots. The only snake I will kill is a cottonmouth- they are kinda mean. I just don't look for them - might scare me to know how many I've stepped on or over. There has never been a snake bite fatality in Mississippi.

I'm a forester as well and I've never encountered a snake while hunting or cruising timber.

Like you, I'd hate to wonder... :o
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

atoler

trust me, your duck hunting is a lot better up there. theres only 3 southern states that are worth a crap for duck hunting, arkie, louisianna, and mississippi, with a very small portion of tennessee.

I've been struck once and stepped on two. several years ago I was frog gigging, and stepped on a copperhead while barefoot pulling the canoe out of the water. Thats a bad feeling, a snake under your barefeet. Last year I was running late on a preseason scouting trip and hustling through some ankle deep flooded timber at dawn. all the sudden i felt a big impact on the back of my leg. Literally felt like someone took a 9 iron to the rear of my calf. I turned around and there was a cottonmouth about the size of my forearm. Also last year, I was on a gobbling bird in a swamp bottom, and he was hung up on a ditch, so I was doing a big loop to reposition, I was in a hurry, and on the jog. stepped right on a big timber rattler. he never made a sound until I started bashin his head in with a stick.

socalturkeyman

Quote from: mossy835 on March 06, 2011, 11:52:52 PM
Where I grew up we had sidewinders, timber rattlers in the mountains, and sand rattlers on the desert. Our last farm was 40 acres and in one year I killed over 100 rattlers there. My opinion was if it crawled coiled or struck it was dead. I have not been bitten but I have had them strike and miss many times, so if I saw one or it let his rattles go he was belly up for sure. I hate Snakes.
You sound like a Socal boy,We have all of those and Mojavie Greens.If you get stuck by a MG you better pray that the local hospital has the anti venom. Not all hospitals carry the MG anti venom and non of the other ones work. I have only stepped on two snakes fishing a creek up in the local mountains. I think they were pacific rattlers. I dont worry to much when turkey hunting in California. We have way to many MT lions out here to worry about snakes.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Gobfather

Quote from: WickedBama on February 20, 2013, 10:14:20 PM

I'd rather have a rattler close than a cotton mouth
At least you get a warning from a rattler sometimes

X2

neverstopchasin

me and 2 of my buddies were walkin around the pond one night shootin snakes with a 22 and had already killed 2 then as we walked around to the other side i felt something hit my leg and looked down and there was a snake under my foot. at first i thought they had threw 1 at me because i am terrified of snakes but when i realized they still had the 2 in their hands i took off screaming like a 6 yr old girl. the funny part is that it was dark and i had the only lantern and one of them was barefoot and i was gone!!!!!! they finally got me to come back and i had stepped on its head. i think it was a copper moccasin.#theycallmethestreak :emoticon-cartoon-012:

neverstopchasin

i am notorious for belly crawling to a big tom if he is hung up or henned up and i am just waiting to be face to face with a big rattler one day but i will die from heart failure before the venom hits me. when all else fails pull out the ol spot and stalk technique  :z-guntootsmiley:

birdyhunter

About 6-7 years ago I was hit by a 5' timber rattler. Never emptied my gun so fast!!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

WickedBama

Quote from: birdyhunter on February 21, 2013, 08:17:02 AM
About 6-7 years ago I was hit by a 5' timber rattler. Never emptied my gun so fast!!!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Ha sounds like something I would do.
Live For It!

AUDoubleBeard

I have had a few close calls but never been hit.  I was dove hunting about 6 years ago and downed a bird that fell in the woods. Walking over to it it was laying next to a creek. About the time i leaned down to pick it up a copperhead jumped of the bank on the other side which was only about 3' from me.  Needless to say I don't think i have ever unshouldered and shoot that fast before.

One other time I was around 8, fishing at my grandmothers place.  The tree limb next to me shook and a big snake fell on the ground. I took off and the dang snake chased me.

All these happened in South Alabama, now I am in Kansas and have not seen many snakes here.  I have heard that there are rattlers here.

Gooserbat

not yet but I'm sure the way my luck works it's only a matter of time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jhcats10

Never bit but when I was a kid, me and a buddy was playing baseball outside. One of us hit the ball into some ivy that was growing over about 3 rail road ties that they used to line their driveway. While I was digging through the ivy I happened to look up and I was starring a copperhead in the eye that was about 4 inches from my face. I slooowly backed away then ran like hell!!! He was a big-un too, still freaks me out to this day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk