OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many of y'all have been hit by a snake?

Started by Basser69, March 04, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

seems like I attract snakes when I'm in the woods or in the water,at least that's what my brothers claim
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BrowningGuy88

Yep, never had one put venom in me though!

2 cottonmouths - back to back mornings two years ago === Thank God for chaps.

1 diamondback - bit the bottom of a Rocky Wellington as I was in mid step.

1 ground rattler - hit the steel toe on a pair of Justin's

If you have ever been hit by one, you will understand when I say all 4 times I sat down after I killed the snake and was overwhelmed. After the two moccasins I actually called the chaps manufacture and thanked them!

Daman

Nimrodmar10

Sat down to eat a lunch one day at LBL after chasing a turkey all morning. About 30 minutes later I got up to leave and saw a dead chipmonk about 3 foot from where I was sitting. I picked him up and he was still limp. I noticed a couple drops of blood on him but couldn't figure out what happended to him. Then suddenly Duhhhhh! Looked down and there was a four foot long timber rattler laying there coiled up. He was nice enough to let me set there and not bother me. So I killed him anyway. No use taking any chances.

fiveyear

Knock on wood never been bit.  Seen a lot of Pygmy Rattlers in swamps.  Watched Moccasin swim between my brothers legs while he was wading in front of me on a bow hunt in a swamp.  Watched a moccasin swim between my wife and shore nobody bit.  Had close calls with Diamond Back Rattlers, had close call with 5 foot moccasin while walking dogs and children on their first walk.  dispatched the snake with biggest stick I could find.  (1.5 feet away)  Many close calls with Timber Rattlers.  Dispatched a few of them.  Been bit by corn snakes and yellow rat snakes that were in my house trying to get them out.  Came up on a 5 foot diamondback rattler on New Years day this year and let him go to a better place.  Dispatched him. 

Hunt with a guy who thinks we are crazy to kill venemous snakes.  On that we do not agree.  He is a Veterinarian and raises snakes.  We take him with us when we are cutting firewood and he removes the Timber Rattlers when we come across them.    I have been happy to have him more than once.  God only knows how many close calls I've had hunting in the swamps I've hunted in Fla. GA and SC.  God has blessed me with no bites in 40 plus years outdoors.   :jesus-cross: :thanks:

I have friends who have been bitten by Big Rattlers and you don't want it is all I know!

OldMarine

I visited Tom Gaskins at His Cypress Knee Museum in Palmdale ,Fl  back in 1985.He said he hunted barefoot and killed ~~ 500 gobblers in the swamps of Florida, all sans -boots.He was an interesting man and made some good yelpers.He has past on and his son continues making his calls.

Mr Tom , said," don't look for snakes when you're turkey hunting, just hunt." I have been hunting gobblers since 1962 and have never had a pair of snake boots.I see plenty of pit vipers every spring and have been struck at, but not hit.I follow Mr.Gaskins advise and just  hunt.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

Flydown

A couple of years ago HC and I was checking game cameras and I got hit in my right calf by a big velvet tail rattlesnake (lucky I had my snake boots on) and It scared the outta me.I ran back to the buggy,grabbed my .22 and tried to shoot it but was a little to shaken up so Ronnie took the gun and shot it in the face. We got the last laugh. ;D Here is a pic of the snake.

forester

Man some of you guys just must not be livin right. I am a forester and spend a lot of time in the woods (30 years) and have been struck at once and not hit. Never owned a pair of snake boots. The only snake I will kill is a cottonmouth- they are kinda mean. I just don't look for them - might scare me to know how many I've stepped on or over. There has never been a snake bite fatality in Mississippi.

Bonjour

I live in Iowa so we don't have any real bad snakes. I have caught a moccasin while out fishing, luckily by the head, and then realized what it was when he opened his mouth. I love snakes though and have always wanted to see some rattlers and copperheads. I have been bitten many times by lots of nonpoisonous snakes though, I remember sitting in school picking teeth out of my hand many times.

turkeybow

Quote from: Odessa on March 04, 2011, 09:33:13 PM
Quote from: outlaw on March 04, 2011, 09:30:03 PM
Yes got drunk one nite took a rattler out and tryed my new russell snake boots out  trust me you get soberreal fast

Outlaw, that is like crashing your motorcycle to test your new helmet!!

Quote from: harvester on March 05, 2011, 08:52:53 PM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 05, 2011, 08:29:14 PM
never bitten,but been struck 13 times over the years
4 times squirrel hunting
3 times deer hunting
6 times duck hunting
0 times turkey hunting

You may want to change your name to lucky or something. They may want to name a snake boot after you.  :TooFunny: You have definatlely been lucky.

Never been hit or bit, knock on wood but have seen several out and about hunting.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Never been bit or hit but I have had my close encounters!!  One day while working out in the woods I stepped in a hole.  I was counting tree species in the understory so I stood there a bit.  As soon as I stepped out of the hole my buddy's eyes got real big and he started freaking out.  All he could do was point.  I turned to see a copperhead coming out of that same hole.  He was as long as my leg.  Needless to say that was to close for me so that copperhead didn't live to see another day  :TooFunny:
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Kylongspur88

Nope. In all the years I've been hunting only seen 3 poisonous snakes, not counting road kills. Saw a copperhead while working hay, water moccasin while fishing, and saw a small rattlers last spring. We see plenty of copperheads and rattlers dead on the road. I'm always carefull to kick the leaves away before sitting down,and if I see a snake I always give him plenty of room. Last summer we had 5-6ft rat snake outside the house. I let him live. They are good at killing pest and even poisonous snakes.

DocHolliday

Struck two times and two close calls.  All big ole NASTY water moccasins.  And before somebody says I'm not careful, brother ain't nobody as careful where they put thier foot as me-especially after that first strike. I always, always wear snake boots now.

StruttinGobbler3

Living where I do in Georgia, it seems we are infested with moccasins, rattlers, and the occasional copperhead. Had some close calls, especially out coon hunting on warm nights. I recall one night in particular walking back to the truck from a tree in a large cypress swamp, I stopped to catch my breath about halfway back. Standing in thigh deep water, I didn't realize there was a moccasin coiled in the root system of a big cypress right next to me and the dog. Walked up on several water moccasins in swamps that way, and nearly stepped on a couple big rattlesnakes, but God has been with me on each of these occasions. I'm always very particular about where I put my feet in the woods, and ALWAYS have on a pair of snakeboots when its hot enough for snakes to be crawling. Always wear snakeproof hip waders while running dogs as well. You can't be too careful, especially when hunting by yourself and a mile or more from your truck. Another thing I've learned when stepping over fallen logs is to ALWAYS check the underside of the log before you step over it. Rattlesnakes love to lay under fallen logs waiting on their dinner to wander by.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

mossy835

Where I grew up we had sidewinders, timber rattlers in the mountains, and sand rattlers on the desert. Our last farm was 40 acres and in one year I killed over 100 rattlers there. My opinion was if it crawled coiled or struck it was dead. I have not been bitten but I have had them strike and miss many times, so if I saw one or it let his rattles go he was belly up for sure. I hate Snakes.

habitatmd

I don't even think about being bit while wandering around.  Don't get me wrong, I've been bit by alot of snakes trying to catch them...garter snakes and black snakes mostly....but never just by walking by one. 

yella yelper

Quote from: Basser69 on March 04, 2011, 06:29:38 PM
Oh yea, I forgot about the one that fell out of the steering column-dash on the rhino a couple of years back. 18" layed across my leg just above my open snake boot on a workday with shorts on. The scooter had been parked in a cutover while we went to town and ate lunch. Needless to say getting out of a rhino moving at 35 miles an hour can be done and quickly! He did not strike me but it could have been interesting had he gone down my boot

This is the only time I would ever scream like an 8 year old girl.  Could have gone up to the jewels too.  I would need a heart transplant!!