OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many of y'all have been hit by a snake?

Started by Basser69, March 04, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odessa

Getting hit means struck in the boots or snake chaps without getting fangs or venon in you.  Getting bit means having fangs in your body (sometimes it is a "dry hit" with no venom).  I was hit once by a pygmy rattler - he couldn't penetrate my combat boots (a very small rattler, but with very toxic venom).
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

outlaw

Yes got drunk one nite took a rattler out and tryed my new russell snake boots out  trust me you get soberreal fast
Im a good guy !!!

TnTurk

Never been actually hit by one although I have stepped on  a few and did the old hop, skip, and jump.  I did sit on one 2 years ago as I hurried to set up on a turkey.  Didn't know it until about 45 minutes later when I had to move to another location and when I got up it scampered off. I guess it liked it down there. Must of been a girl snake.    :love5:   :TooFunny:

Swamprunner

I got struck by a fat SC moccasin 3 years ago on the ankle of my danner pronghorn snakeboots.  Hunting all by myself in a deep swamp.  Scared the  out of me, and hurt pretty bad.  By the time I got them off, my ankle was blue.

Odessa

Quote from: outlaw on March 04, 2011, 09:30:03 PM
Yes got drunk one nite took a rattler out and tryed my new russell snake boots out  trust me you get soberreal fast

Outlaw, that is like crashing your motorcycle to test your new helmet!!
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

TURKEYWHACKER

Had some close calls over the years. In October while crawlin' around blood trailin', I placed my right hand down to lean forward for a better look anf was within 3-4 inches of a pygmy rattler.  :o

TnTurk

Quote from: Odessa on March 04, 2011, 09:33:13 PM
Quote from: outlaw on March 04, 2011, 09:30:03 PM

Outlaw, that is like crashing your motorcycle to test your new helmet!!
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Basser69

Quote from: Odessa on March 04, 2011, 09:10:01 PM
Getting hit means struck in the boots or snake chaps without getting fangs or venon in you.  Getting bit means having fangs in your body (sometimes it is a "dry hit" with no venom).  I was hit once by a pygmy rattler - he couldn't penetrate my combat boots (a very small rattler, but with very toxic venom).

Thanks Odessa, sorry I took Momma and the kids out for dinner.

RutnNStrutn

I've been hit on the toe of a regular boot by a pigmy rattler once, fortunately it didn't penetrate. Another time a BIG water mocassin hit me in the calf at night when I was walking out of the woods. Thankfully I was wearing snake boots. This snake had to have been huge. It felt like someone hauled off and punched me in the calf as hard as they could!! I walked on water on the way out of that swamp!!!! :o

jv

Back about 30 years ago got bite by a cottonmouth, had on a pare of rubber knee boots and jeans and the snake hit right at the top of the boots and on the seam of the jeans....all it did was leave two small red marks but scaried me...don't think there was any snake boots back then.
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.

mason0366

Never been bit or bit,but onetime I was walking up Creek when I was a kid. Had black snack go between my legs as I steeped. Wear my uncle slippers. I bet I was running a hundred miles a hour but did never move out of my spot. It was about six feet long. It was a wonder I did not kill my self on the slick rocks!

Crutch

Quote from: mason0366 on March 04, 2011, 10:48:56 PM
Never been bit or bit,but onetime I was walking up Creek when I was a kid. Had black snack go between my legs as I steeped. Wear my uncle slippers. I bet I was running a hundred miles a hour but did never move out of my spot. It was about six feet long. It was a wonder I did not kill my self on the slick rocks!

I hate it for you, thats one of those things that is funny and not funny at the same time.

Got bit by a black snake once between the index and thumb. Had to use a screw driver to pull him loose.
Ole, smoothie can get the adrenelin going like an old gobbler can.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

surehuntsalot

never bitten,but been struck 13 times over the years
4 times squirrel hunting
3 times deer hunting
6 times duck hunting
0 times turkey hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

harvester

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 05, 2011, 08:29:14 PM
4 times squirrel hunting
3 times deer hunting
6 times duck hunting
0 times turkey hunting

You may want to change your name to lucky or something. They may want to name a snake boot after you.  :TooFunny: You have definatlely been lucky.

Never been hit or bit, knock on wood but have seen several out and about hunting.

Basser69

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 05, 2011, 08:29:14 PM
4 times squirrel hunting
3 times deer hunting
6 times duck hunting
0 times turkey hunting

You ever think about looking for a new hobby?  :z-guntootsmiley: