Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Scouting Report and Season Outlook

Started by bornagain64, February 08, 2013, 04:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

Backwater and I are going scouting one of our spots tomorrow. Weather down here in Florida has not been constant or normal. Its been unseasonably hot, until a couple weeks ago, and then got down to 30s and 40s for several night in a row.

They where gobbling, but that might have shut them back up. We will find out in the morning.

We hunt public land, so there are a lot of variables. We might throw a couple of cameras up also.

John

timberjack86

jarbo03

Good luck guys. Prob another month and half before I start scouting. Picked up some new land that holds a ton of Rios, saw a group of 2-300 while deer and pheasant hunting, very excited.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bornagain64

We went this morning to scout. We rode our bikes 5 1/2 miles on a dirt road at 5:00 am, then we walked back to our spot, about 2 miles total. Scouted for 3 hours, And then we had to get back out, about 7 more miles, of walking and biking. Our legs where reminding us that we were not that young anymore.

Did not see much sign. Did put out 2 cameras in some good areas. Ray did find a 4 point shed.

Here is some picture clip of a video from last year. I could not get the video to up load.
We think the gobbler doing the chasing is still alive.

backwater

:agreed:.... That was a tough scouting trip.  Looking forward to scouting our other hunting spot.  John, I saw we give today's spot another try in the morning.  Lol.....

timberjack86

backwater

timberjack86

Boy it wont be long! I wish ours started that early. Ours starts March 30.

jarbo03

April 10 here

backwater

Going out on another scouting trip in the morning. There is a cold front moving through our general area that may shut them up.  We shall see.

jarbo03

Was 16° this morning, saw 3 big toms strutting, I think they are ready for spring also.

timberjack86

I saw 9 gobblers and two strutters the other day near my home.Just wish it was March 30th.

jarbo03

Now have 10" snow on the ground, 6" more tomorrow night. Need to get out and do some bird counting.

bornagain64

Ray and I went out again, Sunday before church. He heard a few gobble and we have a nice one on one of our cameras. Now if they are there on opening day and will cooperate and there is no one else around, we could have a good hunt.

John

timberjack86

I saw a flock of 30+ birds yesterday. They were about 40 yards from the road we were on and there was 2 strutters. I rolled down the window and whistled as loud as I can. I got both birds to shock gobble as they were walking away. ;D