OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need a choke for winchester 1300

Started by sworntofun, February 07, 2013, 09:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sworntofun

I'm looking for a good choke for my winchester 1300 that's under $60 have looked at a few but hate to spend the cash and it not pattern well in my 1300 . Any help would be nice thanks.

TWOWITHONE

I went with Kicks Gobbling Thunder. Then went with Clarks all about shooting. I got a turkey harvesting winnie 1300. Give Clark a e-mail.Sorry about that hes on this board and his board name is ( allaboutshooting )Hes a good guy and he knows his chokes for sure so just look him up on here. :firefighter:

mikejd

I happen to be a choke tube addict and probably have 15 different ones for my 1300. Best shooter IC black diamond. I can give numbers if you wish.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

paboxcall

.660 Jellyhead rides on the end of my 1300.  Search the pattern threads and you will see a lot of 1300 choke / shell combos to start with.  Bottom line is pattern your gun -- each gun has a bit of its own personality.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

allaboutshooting

Quote from: sworntofun on February 07, 2013, 09:00:51 PM
I'm looking for a good choke for my winchester 1300 that's under $60 have looked at a few but hate to spend the cash and it not pattern well in my 1300 . Any help would be nice thanks.

There are several chokes that can meet your requirements of throwing excellent patterns and still keep the price under $60.00.

I try to shoot all of them in different guns with different barrel lengths and with different turkey loads. That's the only way that I know to really see how different chokes work.

There are several chokes that I recommend to people who contact me directly because I have more positive experience with them than with others.

Some brands that are reasonable priced are Trulock, Carlson and Truglo. The Hevi-13 brand of chokes are also under your $60.00 limit as are another top performing choke that I've shot over the years, the Wright's brand of limited production turkey chokes.

I look not just a numbers in a 10" circle at 40 yards but also at performance at 25 yards and mainly for the quality of the pattern. A high number really does no good if there are large, 1 1/2" or more, gaps in the pattern. I also like to see a good fringe pattern out to 14" or so.

One choke that will meet you needs and has been proven over time in both the 12 gauge and 20 gauge versions, with lead and tungsten-based shot is the SSX. That's really the one that I'd recommend for your gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

sworntofun

Thank yall for the advice im going to check out a few of them .

mikejd

Clark is that SSX similar to my Truglo Mark Bansers its about 15 or so years old. If so that is also one of the best performers in my 1300. I usually don't recommend it because they are tough to come by.

WildSpur

For some reason mine shot very well with a .675 non-ported Undertaker designed for HTL.  Good for $20.

Cluck more, yelp less

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mikejd on February 08, 2013, 09:32:40 PM
Clark is that SSX similar to my Truglo Mark Bansers its about 15 or so years old. If so that is also one of the best performers in my 1300. I usually don't recommend it because they are tough to come by.

The Bansner choke had different "internals" and primarily used the ports to separate the wad from the shot charge. They are great chokes but as you said, very hard to come by today and when found, generally command a premium. Mark Bansner spends his time today producing some exceptionally accurate rifles.

The SSX was designed by Roger Burrell and uses very subtle incremental changes in the bore diameter, along with lines and grooves to slow the wad and separate it from the shot charge. It's a fascinating design. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=465 The true muzzle of the choke is set-back inside the choke and the ports do not influence the shot charge.

Two very different designs but both are very effective chokes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

sworntofun

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 09, 2013, 11:50:10 AM

The Bansner choke had different "internals" and primarily used the ports to separate the wad from the shot charge. They are great chokes but as you said, very hard to come by today and when found, generally command a premium. Mark Bansner spends his time today producing some exceptionally accurate rifles.

The SSX was designed by Roger Burrell and uses very subtle incremental changes in the bore diameter, along with lines and grooves to slow the wad and separate it from the shot charge. It's a fascinating design. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=465 The true muzzle of the choke is set-back inside the choke and the ports do not influence the shot charge.

Thanks,
Clark
I have decided to go with the ssx . Where is the best place to buy one? Bass pro only has the gobble stopper.

wvnut3

www.allaboutshooting.com , Clark is a great guy to deal with. He ships really fast. Lee

sworntofun

mikejd

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 09, 2013, 11:50:10 AM

Thanks Clark. I guess I will have to add one to my collection.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks Clark. I guess I will have to add one to my collection.

fowlfan

I have been very pleased with my HeviShot turkey choke tube. It was very reasonably priced and patterns so much better than the factory tubes that came in my SX3 and Benelli Nova.