OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good deal?

Started by heath42, February 07, 2013, 08:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heath42

Long time lurker, first time poster...
I'm literally just getting into turkey hunting and have been reading the forum trying to learn all I can.  Anyways I'm looking to buy a turkey gun and think I've decided I want a 835.  There's a used one someone is selling locally with 2 chokes (turkey and full) for $375. Ya'll think its a good deal or should I go and buy a new one at Wal Mart?
Thanks guys,
Heath

gobblingghost

Before you buy one of those kicking mules you need to shoot one first. I have had one for about 15 to 20 yrs.

bowhunter2k9

I, being a Remington fan myself, would like to tell you the 870 is great :D. But... to answer your question, I would buy a new one at academy or walmart. the turkey edition at academy is a good price and an awesome gun at 379.99
Romans 8:38-39

heath42

Quote from: gobblingghost on February 07, 2013, 08:14:42 PM
Before you buy one of those kicking mules you need to shoot one first. I have had one for about 15 to 20 yrs.

Haha they must be pretty bad, that's what everyone has to say!

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

heath42

Quote from: Old Gobbler on February 07, 2013, 08:46:40 PM
$399 for a 28" at basspro - camo  NEW

http://www.basspro.com/Mossberg-535-ATS-12-Gauge-w/28-Barrel-Shotgun-Realtree-MAX4/product/10218114/

Tried looking it up, but what's the main difference between the 535 and the 835, and whats your opinion on the 28" barrel?

mikejd

I may stir something hear. Not my intent. I personally like a shorter barrel then 28. I feel a 24 is a nice happy medium. Although I do prefer shorter. And the 835 is a nice gun and a great performer.

Old Gobbler

I had the 28 " barrel and the 24" inch and to be honest I liked the 28 incher better - Its only a few ounces out there but the gun would kick slightly less and not rear up so badly , plus it had a nice long sighting plane --I eventually gave that gun away to a buddy who needed a turkey gun , he loved it and killed many gobblers with it

Ill give you some advise on the recoil , when guys pattern it they tend to put only one round in the chamber / You need to load that 835 full of rounds the extra weight will soak up some kick , if the recoil pad is stiff , replace it with a soft aftermarket pad like a limbsaver or kickeez etc....  those 2 things will help alot 

the 835 has a overbored/back bored barrel that is virtually a 10 gauge bore i think its somewhere around .777  not sure -   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ryanva88

I would also suggest shooting a the model of gun you are looking to buy before hand. You may discover something you like or dislike. Many people love their 835's, I love my 870... Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge. They all drive.

Buying a gun second hand is something you need to be conformable with...know who owned it and if anyone owned it before them. $375 is plenty of money to make you regret a purchase...even if it does seem like a good deal.

Think of it this way...If a new gun is more expensive, the difference you pay is a insurance policy that says the gun was never treated badly before it came to you. 

Another thought... if you ever plan to have a gun dipped in camo, its usually cheaper to buy a new gun with that feature from the get go. A minimum for a camo dip is 100 to do it yourself. 200 plus usually to get it done.

Many turkey hunters like a shorter barrel, but to me its a selling point by the gun manufacturer. Shorter barrels are nice in the close corners of the woods but rarely will an extra 4 inches be a deal breaker in my opinion. More important to me is the type of barrel. Blue barrels shine and a turkeys have keen eyesight. He could catch a glare from the gun and split. Turkeys are killed with blued barrels but many turkey hunters choose to cover them up when hunting or just have a dull matte black or painted barrel.

And lastly...just because he is including chokes...take that with a grain of salt. You will most likely (hopefully not) end up buying a good amount of turkey chokes in a quest to perfect your pattern. His choke may be the magic one, but maybe not...in fact probably not. 

All food for though, good luck in finding a great deal on a great gun. feel free to post a pic of your purchase whatever it end up being!   

BrowningGuy88

For that price - I would buy a brand new one. They run between $350 and $400 new and you can pick between barrel lengths and stocks and camo patterns.

davisd9

Bought mine brand new at Walmart for $350 including taxes.  They do not kick that bad. 

Out the box:

After it is set up the way I want (also added a limbsaver, worth every penny):
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

nate12285

I belive for that price, I would just go by a new one or an 870.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Shannon,

Your very close.  A Moss 835 has a .775 bore. 

I would also buy a new one from wally world. 

heath42

Quote from: Kcurtisjr on February 08, 2013, 10:45:11 AM
Dicks has a waterfowl/turkey combo with two barrels for 399.00

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=12270521&ab=ACLN2_Link_Shotguns_TurkeyWaterfowl
Can't beat that! I appreciate all the advice, I think ya'll convinced me to go a buy a new one. I did want to go all camo if I can find one, now its time to go shopping! I'll be sure to post some pictures later on!