turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking about trying a trumpet

Started by Onpoint, February 07, 2013, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

For some reason or another I was sitting here and got the urge to get a trumpet call. I've never messed with one but I'd like to learn. I will say I'm pretty tough on a mouth call but horrible on a duck call. I've never seen one used nor do I know anybody that uses one. I don't guess I really need one but I wanna get one anyhow and tinker with it. Y'all got any advice for me?

West Augusta

Go slow.  Practice a lot.  Less air gives better sound.  Buy a quality trumpet or two.  You won't regret it once you hit the woods with one. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

the secret to a trumpet is control....control your air I agree with West less is best....finding the right spot on the mouth piece is a must, using the lip stop to gauge your position will cause you to store that spot in your memory banks...make certain the trumpet you get is made by someone who's calls are known to produce the turkey sound....I found out early in my call making career that looks don't kill birds.....talk to other hunters who have used trumpets successfully as any one can tell you how they failed using them....practice takes time so never get in a hurry, I know one hugely successful trumpet maker who took nearly five years to master the call.....sounds like a long time, but in the end he has the beards and spurs to back it up...before you buy one get to know the maker, talk shop, they have to "earn" your trust before they take your money...then once you have your trumpet in your hand, take it with you, practice in your vehicle at stop lights, in your back yard, in the park, in the woods, or even on the throne...but practice....the best thing about your situation is that you said no one around you uses one, this will be a plus in the field..as those toms will be fooled easily by the "new" kid on the block sound coming from your call..
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

vaturkey

Vaturkey

Onpoint

Well I'm definitely gonna get one and hopefully get it figured out. I practice all my calls a lot. I'm pretty good with all of em especially the mouth call. The only call I never could masts was a duck call.  I'll put in the work to get it mastered. Might be a couple weeks before i have the extra money to get one depends on how much work i get this week. First thing on doin is a tribute call for my grandma.Who's  some good call makers that I should look into. I do t know the first thing about a trumpet call. Never even seen one in person.

totallycluckedup

I've been in the same boat as you.  I too just wanted something else to play with and figure out.  I talked to Pappy on the phone and he was a great guy to deal with.  After purchasing his call and getting pointers from him on how to use it, I had some sounds coming out of it that resembled a yelp here and there in about 5 minutes.  Getting that to work consistant is a whole other story. haha.  I don't like my mouth call sound.  My dad disagrees but I don't care for it.  My strongest call is a slate or glass.  But this trumpet sure is neat.

West Augusta

I made goose honks for about a year before I started to figure it out.  If  you can make any sounds on the first day then you are well on the road.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

totallycluckedup

haha... yeah I made another topic with a video in it

RIO329

i agee with alot of what pappy says, know your callmaker first and take it slow ,the trumpet call is one that takes time to master, but i will say once you do ,imo its the deadliest call in  the turkey woods ,and i think you sould buy one from me lol,regards,rick

outdoors

Quote from: vaturkey on February 07, 2013, 11:39:58 AM

On the Throne ?  :TooFunny:
X2. Ya. . . . .
As far as doing it in your truck NO , NO around hear where I live it's a good,chance U might get pulled over for a check see . . .  .
Trumpets where she's at . . . . . .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gawhitaker

Ditto the abve replies, you will not regret learning to use one, they sure work in the woods.

larry9988

Austy

They definitely take time to learn!!  The best thing about them as you have already figured out is that not allot of people out there have them or use them.  I have killed several birds over the years that had every other call thrown at them and closed the deal with a trumpet call.  Sometimes that is just what a turkey that has been called to by every other type of call needs to hear, something different. 

Onpoint

Well I'm definitely gonna give one a try. Thanks for all the advice guys. When I get it I'm sure I'll be posting another thread tryin to figure out how to use the thing.

Thanks
Justin

pappy

Quote from: vaturkey on February 07, 2013, 11:39:58 AM

On the Throne ?  :TooFunny:

I KNEW YOU'D GET A KICK OUT OF THAT ONE MY FRIEND.......
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206