OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A little concerned

Started by Spring_Woods, February 06, 2013, 04:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring_Woods

I'm a little concerned. Yesterday I saw a big group of turkeys and seen the 4 mature gobblers leave the flock and go off separately. Today, I witnessed in another field what appeared to be 4-5 gobblers together. Are they splitting up already?? It just seems way to early?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

BrowningGuy88

As warm as it has been in lower Alabama, it wouldn't surprise me if the gobblers are done chasing hens by the start of the season.

redarrow

I doubt it has anything to do with breeding.The Toms just tend to hangout together until breeding starts.Bucks do the same thing.

Deputy 14

We very rarely see hens and gobblers together through the winter in southern WV. I doubt you have anything to worry about.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Start worrying when they are all in full strut with 5 or 6 hens.

What you are describing is fall segregation and that's what you want to be seeing right now.

Spring_Woods

Thanks for the replies everyone. I noticed today my nose was a little itchy and I do have spring time allergies. I'm thinking a repeat of last year. We started really greening up about mid march '12.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

nate12285

As mentioned earlier, I think there is nothing to worry about either.

turkey_slayer

I wouldn't worry. It happens the same time every year. Mother nature knows what shes doing ;D

Improvinghunter101

I don't seem to be as worried about this year as last year.  Last year, second day of the first season here in central illinois I jumped a hen off her nest by accident.  Gobblers didn't seem to really want to have anything to do with any call I threw at them.  The gobbler I did kill last year, I chased it for a mile before it finally gave in.  I realize he could've possibly had a hen with him, but usually when they do they just shut up in my experiences.  This one would gobble after every one and then just keep getting furter away.  I wasn't calling often by any means.  May be once every five minutes.  I kept waiting for him to show up but he never did.  The rest of the season, I might as well have just been mushroom hunting.  Had two gobblers and three jakes in the middle of the field.  I was cutting and purring and trying everything I could to get their attention.  At first, they looked my direction, then the rest of the time, just kept pecking around like it was no big deal.  Then on August 6th, I seen poults that were probably 2-2.5 feet tall.  I don't know how fast poults grow, but I would say they were probably at least 4 months old if not older.   I think the breeding took place early last year.  Hopefully it won't this year.  Definitely looking forward to getting out again.  To state how excited I get, when I got married last year during the summer, my wife had a wedding ring made for me with turkey tracks on it.  Yep, she's a keeper.