turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

11-87 20ga Sight issues

Started by Ky Gobbler, February 06, 2013, 03:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky Gobbler

I have an 11-87 20 gauge and I'm having trouble getting it sighted in. Even before I mounted the sights it shot low. I have the truglo pro series magnum gobble dot sights mounted on it. I still can't get it to shoot high enough. It seems to shoot around 8 inches low at 25 yards. No matter which way I adjust the sights it doesn't seem to help. If it makes a difference I am using one the remington brand super full chokes from walmart.

But at 30 yards it does fine with a full choke. So i have been using it to hunt squirrels.

Anyone have any suggestions?

SKFOOTER

Are you moving your rear sight to it highest elevation??

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Ky Gobbler on February 06, 2013, 03:48:16 PM
I have an 11-87 20 gauge and I'm having trouble getting it sighted in. Even before I mounted the sights it shot low. I have the truglo pro series magnum gobble dot sights mounted on it. I still can't get it to shoot high enough. It seems to shoot around 8 inches low at 25 yards. No matter which way I adjust the sights it doesn't seem to help. If it makes a difference I am using one the remington brand super full chokes from walmart.

But at 30 yards it does fine with a full choke. So i have been using it to hunt squirrels.

Anyone have any suggestions?

You may need to work with comb height. I'd try putting a neoprene sleeve on it first. That will add about 1/8" to the comb height. See what that does and if it's not enough, you can very gradually increase the comb height until you're where you need to be.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. You should also make sure your magazine cap it tight. Do not over tighten it because that can also pull your muzzle down. Hand tight and then 3-4 clicks is enough.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Ky Gobbler

Thanks for the responses. I've tried moving the sight to the highest elevation, it wasn't enough. If i tried the neoprene sleeve to raise the comb height about 1/8 inch how would i go about raising it more if that wasnt enough?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Ky Gobbler on February 07, 2013, 12:00:28 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've tried moving the sight to the highest elevation, it wasn't enough. If i tried the neoprene sleeve to raise the comb height about 1/8 inch how would i go about raising it more if that wasnt enough?

There are a couple of ways to raise it more. Beartooth makes a "Comb Raising Kit" that includes a neoprene sleeve and several pads of different thicknesses that you can use to progressively raise the height.

I prefer to use the sleeve and if that's not enough to use a Cheek Eez pad under that. They also come in different thicknesses.

Or you can use the sleeve and purchase some foam pipe wrap and use it under the sleeve. It works very well.

If you want to experiment a bit without spending much money, you can buy the pipe wrap and use some tape to secure it to your stock. In that way you can see just how much you'll need to raise the comb to make it work. Once you have that worked out, you can go whichever route you think would work best for you.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark

Ky Gobbler

Just came in from shooting the 11-87. The barrel was a little looser than I thought because it was just hand tightened. I tightened it as you said (3-4 clicks after I hand tightened it). I also put a ruger american rifle cheek pad on it to raise the comb hight a little over 1/8 of an inch. It still shot about 3 inches low at 15 yds and 6 inches low at close to 30yds. :( I was using 2 3/4 in shells, would that matter?

SumToy

Remove the front sight and try it like that.   :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Ky Gobbler

Just tried shooting it again today, but this time I put a folded up wash cloth onto the stock using tape (no tape on the gun of course). This actually seemed to raise the comb height enough to make it shoot the right height. I looked up the comb raisers that were mentioned but they are around thirty dollars then add shipping. I wanted to take a more of a do it yourself route. I was wanting to make my own comb raiser that won't damage the finish of my shotgun. I considered taking a mouse pad and cutting it up and rapping it with the camo wrap that sticks to itself. Has anyone tried something like that?

FullChoke

I DIYed a comb riser using an old neoprene wetsuit then wrapped it with camo tape. Worked beautifully all last year. I just recently replaced it with a comb riser that I made from wood and planed/sanded it to fit and match the contours of the stock then epoxied it in place.

Here's a photo of the wetsuit DIY.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Ky Gobbler on February 10, 2013, 11:38:00 PM
Just tried shooting it again today, but this time I put a folded up wash cloth onto the stock using tape (no tape on the gun of course). This actually seemed to raise the comb height enough to make it shoot the right height. I looked up the comb raisers that were mentioned but they are around thirty dollars then add shipping. I wanted to take a more of a do it yourself route. I was wanting to make my own comb raiser that won't damage the finish of my shotgun. I considered taking a mouse pad and cutting it up and rapping it with the camo wrap that sticks to itself. Has anyone tried something like that?

Sure. I've tried a little bit of everything over the years. Pipe wrap with some of that elastic bandage wrap is very easy, really any material will work to find what height you need to get the job done.

Thanks,
Clark

appalachianstruttstopper

You could try dead ringer beard buster sights. The ghost ring type sights seem to help with guns shooting high or low.