OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recommendations for a turkey gun

Started by bebo33, February 05, 2013, 03:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devin4484

I love the 835 I own but, when I picked up the 870 super mag I had to have one.  Its just what you prefer pick em both up and get the feel for em.  If you still cant decide flip a quater.  Local Walmart had 870 sm for 357 (but you get a $30 remington mail in rebate) hardwoods hd camo 26 inch pipe modified choke and the 835 was 359 in breakup camo with a 24 inch pipe and a superfull turkey choke. 

bosstom3

Winchester SX3 Extreme Cantilever Turkey with Truglo red dot  :z-winnersmiley:

Muzzy61

Quote from: outdoors on February 05, 2013, 06:26:12 PM
If you have a Caldwell or some kind of shooting rest to sight the gun in This would take
care of any Recoil issues you might come across , 3 1/2 , When you go too shot that cannon
At a Turkey YOU WON'T feel a thing ........     Good Luck . . . .   :turkey2:
.    X2
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

surehuntsalot

another vote for the 835
the patterns they throw can't be beat
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

redleg06

All three are great... I own the 870 and Nova and both are extremely reliable but i carry the 870 as my primary gun.

Just pick which one feels the best to you because you really cant go wrong with any of those.

alclark2

835 is my vote BUT it does kick like a mule.  :z-guntootsmiley:
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

the Ward

You can't go wrong with any of the excellent picks from everyone here,but i'm going to take this from a different perspective. I think if i were you just getting started out i would invest in a couple of calls gas money for scouting and such before commiting to an expensive investment like a dedicated turkey rig.Get a season or two under your belt to make sure its something your going to enjoy long term.Spend some time at the patterning board testing some different shells and chokes with your current gun to see what it does.Lots of gobblers have been layed low with a 2-3/4 shell out of a walnut /blued steel shotgun.A roll of camo tape for a couple bucks will take care of the shine.Just something to consider before you take the plunge buying a new gun,and if you find you love doing this as much as i think you will,then the gun suggestions here will suit you well.Good luck and good hunting!.......ward

coyotetrpr

835 and thats the bottom line cause coyotetrpr said so. :TooFunny:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

chatterbox

I own an 835, but I have heard excellent things about the 870, and wouldn't hesitate to hunt with one.
I would shoulder both, and see which one fits you better, then make a decision.