turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommendations for a turkey gun

Started by bebo33, February 05, 2013, 03:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bebo33

I'm in the market for a turkey gun.  Turkey hunting is still VERY new to me and I've only been a handful of times. I've been carrying my Browning A2000 Semi/Auto that only shoots 2 3/4 shells, isn't camoflauged, and even though it plays havoc on doves and quail, it's NOT ideal for turkey.  I've narrowed it down to a Mossberg 835, Remington 870 Express and the Benelli Supernova.  I thought about a Stoeger p-350 (only because I found a deal on a used one), but heard they have issues.  Things I'm looking for in this gun: hold up to 3 1/2 inch mag shells, totally camoflauged, vent rib, and tru glow sights.  What do you guys think? 

340_Dart

I personally have an 870 with a 21" barrel and a camo stock (black action/barrel) but it seems like guys really love their 835s. If I had to do over, I'd probably look at one also. Walmart sells the all camo, 24" overbored barrel for only $350 & tax. I've got more than that in my 870, and it only shoots up o 3" shells.

gobblingghost

I have a Benelli SBE with a Sumtoy and Baikal MP 153 with a Sumtoy. Both pattern well.  I also have a 835 ( kicks like a mule). Before anyone buys an 835, they need to shoot one. Its hard to describe the recoil from an 835. Turkey hunting is a sport you can spend as little or as much as you want.

captin_hook

WildSpur

For the money an 835 will be tough to beat.  They have a history of patterning well too.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

nate12285

I don't think you can go wrong with the 870, 835, the Benelli. All are very tough reliable guns. I don't have experience with the Mossberg 835 or Benelli, but know that the 870 is a tried and true gun. No telling how many turkeys have bit the dust from an 870. Plus you just about can't tear up an 870.

R AJ

Quote from: bebo33 on February 05, 2013, 03:07:37 AM
I'm in the market for a turkey gun.  Turkey hunting is still VERY new to me and I've only been a handful of times. I've been carrying my Browning A2000 Semi/Auto that only shoots 2 3/4 shells, isn't camoflauged, and even though it plays havoc on doves and quail, it's NOT ideal for turkey.  I've narrowed it down to a Mossberg 835, Remington 870 Express and the Benelli Supernova.  I thought about a Stoeger p-350 (only because I found a deal on a used one), but heard they have issues.  Things I'm looking for in this gun: hold up to 3 1/2 inch mag shells, totally camoflauged, vent rib, and tru glow sights.  What do you guys think?

835 - Hard Recoil
870 SM - Recoil not as bad but still thumps back of middle finger Ouch!
Supernova- Free  rattle with purchase tough on recoil
All have tendencies toward flinching, especially on paper targets

Why a 3.5" demand? If for steel shot and geese, coyotes, etc. maybe.
The 3" shell in turkey loads is plenty. I have owned the 835, 870 SM, and a Baikal MP153, the only one still around and capable of doing everything I need is the Baikal.

My recommendation is to consider a 20 gauge 3" using HTL loads primarily and a semi-auto to boot so that you enjoy shooting as well as hunting. Lighter gun, less recoil, shells are a little cheaper,just plain out fun guns to hunt with.

BrowningGuy88

If for turkeys only - I recommend the Mossy. The patterns are absolutely amazing and not hard to obtain.

The 3.5" will rock your world for sure, but throw on a limbsaver pad and it helps. The Wal-Mart 835 is hard to beat.

Wal-Mart also has the 870SM all camo for roughly the same price.

bebo33

I did hear that the recoil on the 835 was significant.  I'm '5 10' and 175 lbs. (soaking wet) No main reasons on why I want a turkey gun that holds up to 3 1/2 inch mags just thought its there if I do decide to take up duck hunting or possible buying a slug barrel for deer.
Never really considered a 20 gauge either or a 10 gauge for that matter. I've just always used 12 gauges and I tend to be a creature of habit.
Until recently I liked just a plain stock, but after picking up a thumbhole stock I have to say it felt good too.  I've been checking on prices and for just starting out I'll most likely go with a pump over a semi/auto. Used or brand new.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge to a first time turkey hunter.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: bebo33 on February 05, 2013, 03:07:37 AM

You'd be hard pressed to find a better pump turkey gun than the 835. It has a proven track record and can deliver patterns as good as any gun on the market today.

I'd recommend that you consider the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot to use with that gun, even though it will chamber 3.5" shells. The 3" will do everything that you need and will have substantially less recoil. That can be very important because there are times when you'll want or need a second shot. With the 3' shell you can get back on target much more quickly.

Like the others, I'd recommend that you install a Limbsaver pad, either replacement or slip on to lessen the kick. They help a lot. Another addition that can also help is a neoprene sleeve over the comb. That will help keep you cheek from getting slapped.

Lastly, I'd recommend that you consider a barrel of at least 25" or 26", whatever is available. That makes that gun much easier to pattern and will also give you enough barrel for a complete burn of powder, should you also use it for waterfowl.

Good luck and I hope you have a great season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

870supermagnum

I have an 870 SPS T Camo Supermagnum and love it.  It does recoil some when shooting 2oz 3.5" Hevi Shot and I installed a camo Knoxx SpecOps stock to dampen it.  It is a bad boy for sure.

:fud:     :newmascot:

bowhunter2k9

I've shot em all... I bought an 870sm
Romans 8:38-39

savduck

I see you want a 3.5 inch gun. I'd recommend a good gas auto for that like a beretta extrema or Winchester. They would take a lot of the recoil from that big load. There is a lot of info on what chokes combos work best with these two guns

Since your new at this I would also like to offer some advice a little different than what you are wanting. With the technology of chokes and ammo these days, there is no need for the big huge 3.5 inch shells and 12 ga. It's wasted money and thumps to your shoulder. I would recommend a 20 ga. They shoot awesome with the HTL Hevi or federal factory loads or TSS hand loads. The factory ammunition cost half of a 12 ga. The weigh less, kick less, and in my opinion throw a better pattern than any 12 ga I owned in the past and they will still SMASH a gobblers face.

Georgia Boy

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: savduck on February 05, 2013, 04:45:04 PM
I see you want a 3.5 inch gun. I'd recommend a good gas auto for that like a beretta extrema or Winchester. They would take a lot of the recoil from that big load. There is a lot of info on what chokes combos work best with these two guns

Since your new at this I would also like to offer some advice a little different than what you are wanting. With the technology of chokes and ammo these days, there is no need for the big huge 3.5 inch shells and 12 ga. It's wasted money and thumps to your shoulder. I would recommend a 20 ga. They shoot awesome with the HTL Hevi or federal factory loads or TSS hand loads. The factory ammunition cost half of a 12 ga. The weigh less, kick less, and in my opinion throw a better pattern than any 12 ga I owned in the past and they will still SMASH a gobblers face.

This is true - if you are going to shoot HTL you can run a 20 gauge and be lethal at any ethical range.

The 3.5" 12 will shine once you drop a lead load in. You simply get more shot going down range. It doesn't the pellets lethality - just how many you can put in the kill zone.

outdoors

If you have a Caldwell or some kind of shooting rest to sight the gun in This would take
care of any Recoil issues you might come across , 3 1/2 , When you go too shot that cannon
At a Turkey YOU WON'T feel a thing ........     Good Luck . . . .   :turkey2:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field