Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spurs or Beards ? which turns you on more ?

Started by Muzzy61, February 03, 2013, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate12285

870FaceLift

The beard  :icon_thumright:  Seeing a bird working toward you with a rope swinging puts me in border-line cardiac arrest.

Spurs are nice, too, but the beard gets the party started!
Pass it on...

30_06

The beard is what starts it for me, once down the spurs are where its at.

TauntoHawk

Spurs, Love flipping a bird over to a big set of hooks.

I talked to a call maker in NY this past spring that scouts hard with a spotting scope before season, said he doesnt pull the trigger unless he knows that bird is sporting serious hardware. Its extreme but he sure had a collection of hooks.   :drool:

I like birds with multiple beards, thats a real treat!  :z-winnersmiley:

I keep both for proud display but rarely bother with the fan anymore, take up too much room on the wall.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

I think the spurs are more the sign of a trophy.  But, i've never seen spurs before I pulled the trigger so it's a matter of good fortune is I get a long spurred bird.  I shoot what presents itself, and, if more than one comes in, I take the more dominant acting bird when possible.
I certainly appreciate a big old paintbrush beard tho. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

leasburg

Both, but man I love beards.  Got a double and a triple beard but to be honest a big fat thick paintbrush beats it all
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

budtripp

Hooks for sure. Even a 2 yr old can sport a thick 10" beard, but only old birds have a set of long sharp spurs

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

HARDCORE

Here's a few gooduns from the past couple of seasons.

HC

vaturkey

Vaturkey

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'll take a set of 1.25"+ hooks any day of the week over an 11" beard.

mikejd

Its all about the hooks for me.

Not saying a big ol paintbrush wont get me pumping though.

Gslam95 now thats some serius jewlery.

BrowningGuy88

I guess before I pull the trigger it is neither. If a bird comes in with a full beard or is able to full strut - he dies!

Now when he hits the ground I want to see his hooks. I am very proud of the two sets of spurs I have that over 1.5". That is nearly unheard of where we hunt. I have killed several with 10" beards.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."