turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Perfect turkey present?

Started by Car02038, February 02, 2013, 07:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Car02038

I have a father that is an avid turkey hunter and a member of the nwtf state board his birthday is coming up and I would like to get him some new gadgets! I am considering a dsd jake decoy but want to get some other thoughts from other turkey hunters! I am new to the site and would love to hear any suggestions you have! Thanks for your help I giving my dad the perfect gift!

BOFF

How much are you wanting to spend?

God Bless,
David B.

GSLAM95

If he uses decoys at all the DSD Jake decoy is one of the best presents you could possibly give the man!  :icon_thumright:

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

alloutdoors

If he uses decoys the DSD jake a good gift, it's the single best decoy you can have in my opinion. I have all of the DSD's and I'm as big a fan of them as you can find. That said, I would consider getting a custom call made instead. For the same money as the jake decoy you could get a really nice, personalized, and truly one of a kind call or set of calls. Just my two cents, you wouldn't be going wrong either way.

vaturkey

If money will allow you could get him a new turkey gun !   :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

Car02038

All great ideas! I was hoping to get it done around $100. The dsd's are awesome and think I may go that way just a little spendy for a decoy, but heard a lot of great things about them. I like the idea of a custom turkey call any you guys would recommend? Probably a pot call would be awesome. Please let me know what you think.

Tail Feathers

If he uses decoys, that DSD would be a most welcome gift for a turkey hunter.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

alloutdoors

Quote from: Car02038 on February 02, 2013, 10:09:03 PM
All great ideas! I was hoping to get it done around $100. The dsd's are awesome and think I may go that way just a little spendy for a decoy, but heard a lot of great things about them. I like the idea of a custom turkey call any you guys would recommend? Probably a pot call would be awesome. Please let me know what you think.

Take a look through the Turkey Calls section of the forum and look for calls that you like, lots of custom call makers post there. You really can't go wrong with any of the call makers on this forum. There are lots of nice pot calls that can be had in the $35-$50 range, for $100 you could get a couple of calls made. Something like a matched pair of pot calls with two different playing surfaces would be very nice.

longspur

sense he's a turkey hunter he probably has a good setup already,but if not a choke tube would be nice

WildSpur

A nice vest is also an option if his needs replaced.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

hookedspur

Get hold of flintlock on here and talk to him about some of his art its beautiful ,most old turkey
hunters I know would have a hard time changing any of thier equipment.
If that dont work out get him a Turkey Lounger .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

captpete

When I read your post the 1st thing that came to mind was a custom pot call. If you make it a crystal/glass surface, you can have a picture of him put under it. It would be a one-of-kind call and make a great present. Like mentioned above, check out the call makers section....lots of very good call makers and GREAT people to work with.

birdyhunter

A nice collecters call like a lamar Williams call would be a real treat for him!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

nate12285

I nice call would be a good present. If you look around on the forum, it's some guys that make some great calls that I'm sure he would be happy with.

Huntress

We used an Avian X Quarter Strut Jake decoy last year and it brought a huge Gobbler a runnin'.

All of the ideas folks shared are good ones.  Depending on how old your Dad is, maybe a real comfy seat (chair if he uses a blind). 

Another idea would be to take all your Dad's turkey hunting photos and organize them into an album...a customized brag book.  Look around for a unique beard & spur display (shelf).