OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

which boot

Started by longspur, February 02, 2013, 05:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman11

I wear two pairs of boots only.  The Danner Pronghorn and the Jackal.  If I hunt steep country I wear the Pronghorn because it has a nice heel.  Any time I can though I wear the Jackal.  It is lightweight and honestly the most comfortable boot I have ever owned.

renegade19

Danner Mountain Lights if I'm not crossing deep water.  Just replaced a pair that was nearly 20 years old.

turkey_slayer

I've gotta be the bad guy here and go against the pronghorns. 3 diff pairs leaked either right of out of the box or within a few weeks. Light and comfy but left a bad taste in my mouth.

TrackeySauresRex

I just treated myself to a new pair of Rocky Timberwolfs 800g. They seem light and durable. I think I'm gonna like em. They will be good for my type of terrain,and I don't really have to worry about snakes.  ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

bbcoach

Danner Jackal II.  Most comfortable and lightest boot I've had on my feet.

longspur

Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 03, 2013, 12:37:18 PM
I've gotta be the bad guy here and go against the pronghorns. 3 diff pairs leaked either right of out of the box or within a few weeks. Light and comfy but left a bad taste in my mouth.
I was wondering about this. Lots of ratings say they leak. Some wear them for years with no problem.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: longspur on February 03, 2013, 02:00:24 PM
Quote from: turkey_slayer on February 03, 2013, 12:37:18 PM
I was wondering about this. Lots of ratings say they leak. Some wear them for years with no problem.

Yeah I've read a lot of complaints since then as well. Danners quality just isn't what it use to be unless you stick with their American made ones. IMO if your looking for a boot that will last it isn't going to be real light, mesh, and have glued soles. Terrain and mileage take a huge toll on any boot. Between scouting, deer, turkey and shed hunting I will put over 100 miles a year on a pair and most of the terrain here is steep. I will eat a pair of mesh shoes with glued soles within a few months. Look for a Norwegian or Goodyear welt boot with full grain one piece leather if you want a boot to last.

I've got one pair that I've had for 17 years and I hate to know how many miles I have on them. The tread finally wore off and the sole came off. They still don't leak but I need to get them resoled. I haven't took care of em honestly and have never conditioned them so they look rough but still perform.

I bought a pair of these this past summer to elk hunt in and to wear whenever its wet or I'm going to be crossing creeks. It took about 50 miles to break em in but now they are so comfortable. Built extremely well and I see them lasting several seasons. http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=197&idcat=21

I still buy $100 hiking shoes every year tho just cause of the lightweight and breathability and to wear just in the mtns where I don't have to cross wide creeks or dew soaked grass.  I have a friend of mine, who also farms, wears mucks. Nice and comfy but he gets about a year out of them and I kill him once we hit the mtns. Boots are one thing it doesn't pay to go cheap on. Might cost more up front but a well built pair will last several years. Lots of you in the south that hunt in places with lots of rattlers, cotton mouths, and copperheads need snake boots so I probably just wasted your time lol. We have rattlers and copperheads here but snake boots are just to hot and to  big of a pain walking in around here

K9Doc

DANNER!!! I have 3 pair.
Still in my first pair and second set of soles!
I use the Sierr@  200 gram insulation and the Un-insulated also. They are worth every penny. I never owned a pair of snake boots that were waterproof for more than a season or they rubbed blisters.
I keep a spare set in the truck and a boot dryer if out of town.
Watch eBay closely or check cabelas for sales.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Danner174-Sierr@ -200-Gram-Boots/721334.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DDanner%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Danner
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Turkey Trot

I've tried a lot of different boots for different activities.

The only boot that is truly waterproof all the time is a rubber boot that you've haven't torn. 

You may want to look at the Schee's Pac Boots.  They have an airbob sole, like a regular boot, and they are far superior to the soles on Bean's, Cabela's, etc., and have some structure and support  The leather upper can be treated fairly well and will work as long as you don't get too deep.

http://www.schnees.com/category/schnees-footwear

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

wernerjd

"Danner Elkhunters" I have had these for seven years hunt and scout in them as we'll. great boot but pricey.

nate12285

I've always had good luck with Lacrosse but last spring I got a pair of Rocky snakeproof boots. They lasted for about two weeks before they started leaking. After about a month, the bottom started coming apart. They won't be making a second turkey season...

ryanva88

Had both good and bad luck with danner. Bought a "hunting" boot called the elk ridge and used it for a year or so only for that purpose. but as soon as i wore those boots to work for a few months they began to split at the seams. Danners costumer service was outstanding and i ended up with a pair of reduced priced working boots that i wear everyday and love. If i were to buy a pair of hunting boots from them again i would go with the pronghorn over the elk ridge. BUT... thir boots in general do have a major dropoff in quality in from made in USA to otherwise....

Treeninja

I love my Under Armour Speed Freaks, they're light and have a nice tread. The only thing is that they are only like a high top sneaker, but I like to run and gun so I do a lot of walking some days. So that makes them the perfect boot for me.

BrowningGuy88

I wear Muck Boots exclusively. I wear the cheapest uninsulated model they make any time I am in the woods from predators in the off season to turkeys in the spring to deer in the fall. I hunt a lot of wet bottoms and cross a lot of creeks. I buy good moisture wicking socks and wear them.

I put over 80 miles on my Muck's last year alone and will hopefully put that much on them this year. They wear like tennis shoes to me - just with good ankle support and waterproofing.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Lacrosse Grange: comfortable, super quiet due to soft rubber sole, 100% waterproof

Rocky 16" snakeboots: good ankle support, snake protection, very comfortable but theyll leak faster than a chewed up rubber duckie. (buy em right before the season so you can send em back right at the end of the season due to leaks for a new pair)

I run both pairs of these boots from March through June and alter my selection based on the region of the country I'm hunting, the type of terrain and the snake populations.