OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Would You Pattern This Setup?

Started by Full_Fan, February 01, 2013, 10:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

I have the following:

A new gun.
3 chokes.
A box each of H-13 in #5, #6, and #7.

How would you go about effectively patterning all chokes with only these shells?  How many shots and at what distances?

packmule

What gun and what chokes do you have?  Several people on here have a really good idea of which chokes work best with which guns etc.

Having said that, the Hevi 13 #6s have patterned great in most of the gun/choke combos I've tried.  I have no experience with the #7s or the #5s.

Hope this helps.

njdevilsb

Shoot at big sheets of cardboard to ensure you aren't wasting the shells by not seeing most of your pattern.  You can start out at close ranges with cheaper shells to see the general point of impact with each choke before shooting the Hevi.  Each choke will probably have a different point of impact.  Start at 10 to 15 yards with cheaper shells and see where choke 1 hits, possibly adjust sights, back off to 40 yards and shoot the Hevi.  Repeat for each choke and see which choke and load gives you what you are looking for as far as an overall pattern.

Full_Fan

Thanks guys.  Am I correct in understanding that the general rule of thumb for an effective killing range is 100 holes in a 10" circle regardless of load?

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

WildSpur

Show your cards.....we can narrow considerably.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

mikejd

You know what works great for patterning. Get one of those big rolls of brown paper at home depot. You know the ones you roll out to protect floors. Then you can slice off a nice big piece for each shot.

What sights are you using if any.

chatterbox

Quote from: mikejd on February 02, 2013, 07:49:22 PM
You know what works great for patterning. Get one of those big rolls of brown paper at home depot. You know the ones you roll out to protect floors. Then you can slice off a nice big piece for each shot.

This. You can get a big roll for pretty short money. It's the paper contractors put down before they lie a floor.
It will last you a very long time!

whiskey

I go to the dollar store and get rolls of gift wrap and use the white side. Get a big screen TV box and staple the paper to it.

Fullfan

Um ok full_fan, if you drink case beer use the cardboard flat that the beer came in.

The Fullfan..
Don't gobble at me...

Full_Fan

Thanks guys.  11-87SM with TruGlo Tru-Point sight.  0.665, 0.670, and a 0.675 chokes.

WildSpur

Who makes the chokes?

Cluck more, yelp less

Full_Fan

WildSpur

Word has it the remington choke does well.

Otherwise the PG should do well with all loads.  I speculate better with the 5 and 6 shot.  Same with the JH.  The 7 shot might do better with a .660 constriction.

Cluck more, yelp less

Full_Fan

Thanks WildSpur.  As I understand it, energy-wise at 40 yards, H13 #7 compares to lead #6, H13 #6 compares to lead #5, and H13 #5 compares to lead #4 so I'm sure they will all be good to 40, at least I'm hoping so.