OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD or Avian-x?

Started by BlakeJ, January 31, 2013, 09:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Which one is that Shannon?  Dang gobbler deke looks good enough to shoot!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

njdevilsb

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 01, 2013, 11:00:05 AM

DSD

WVhuntEER

I have seen from first hand experience how good the DSD's work.  I have had unbelievable response from gobblers and hens alike.   Last year I had two huge tom's come and attack my dsd jake.   One of them took a ride home with me in my truck.    My dad uses the Avian decoys and has had great success as well.  I like my dsd's better.  They are made in the USA and in my opinion look more authentic!  You can't go wrong either way! 

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Chris Downs

I have owned/used both the Avian feeder hen and the DSD jake.  I didn't have a problem carrying either decoy around hunting.  I actually never deflated my Avian hen.  Just put it in the carry bag and went...just like with my DSD jake.  With that said, I now only own the DSD and will be replacing the Avian hen with a DSD hen...either breeder or upright, haven't decided yet.  Just like the looks better.  No really problems at all with the Avian...just like the look of the DSD better.  Only problem I have with the DSD is that the bag that came with my DSD jake is total junk.  Started ripping on my first hunt.  By the third hunt it was done.  I just found a Drake Waterfowl carry bag on sale at Wing Supply and found it to be much tougher and large enough to get two DSD decoys in...so that's my solution to the only problem I had with DSD...haha.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 01, 2013, 11:00:05 AM

That's the DSD Strutter -- yes a bit pricey , but the Rolls Royce of decoys - If you buy one , you wont be sorry -I have the original very first DSD hen 5 seasons strong , and the paint is 100% , if you break down the cost per use ....you are looking at less than a dollar per hunt , probably less and less as time goes by - I like to buy good quality equipment that works and wont let you down . Items like this you only have to lay down the cash one time not continue to every other season buy this and touch up paint that , throw this away , and shop for another etc...if you add up all the junk decoys up on a list you could just go out and have bought the best , and get it over with

That gobbler laying in front of it is a South Florida Osceola , our gobblers are smaller body size than anyone else's I think that one was 15 pounds , and they are not scared one bit to come in and run some "beef" with it - I have some good film footage of 10-11 pound Osceola jakes wanting to fight it .Something about this decoy that just pisses gobblers off - the picture is good , in person it is even more realistic -

Dont buy into the bunk marketing from other companies about undersize decoys especially strutters ,I suspect the real reasoning is most of that stuff is imported and these items are made collapsible so they an save on shipping charges and container space from the peoples republic of china , I cant fault a person for wanting to buy something a little more affordable , its the way this economy works , and it is their money after all . I feel a informed consumer should be made aware of their options -sometimes its hard to tell from magazine pictures , try and look at the items in person and you be the judge   

Dave Smith Decoys will be at the Nashville convention , if you are there stop by and say hello to the DSD crew ,make sure you go there early , they always sell out of everything they bring    
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

GSLAM95

Here are a couple more pictures of the DSD Gobbler.  If you want to see some kills on video with them and how the birds react just click on the youtube icon under my user ID.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Kylongspur88

I've saved up and I'm getting a dsd this spring. Finally retiring the old feather flex hen :(

Chris Downs

GSLAM95...Awesome footage.  Makes me want to bowhunt now...haha. 

Help me decide on which DSD hen to get with my jake.  should I get the breeder, feeder, or looker?  I'll probably end up with all of them eventually, but I can only afford one at a time...haha.  I'm really leaning toward the breeder hen, but when the pastures and fields I hunt grow up some, later in the season, I don't know if the birds will be able to see it very well.

nativeks

Took some pics today of an Avian X and DSD.

First one is a size comparison. Avian X is much bigger than the DSD.

Some individual pics of each decoy

Shots of the back of the decoys

I will say it took me 4.5 deep breaths to get me Bros Avian X hen inflated. He transports his inflated to avoid having to blow them up every time. Folded up is is not a whole lot smaller than the DSD. Weight is comparable and I think the Avian X might be a hair heavier, but since my digital fishing scale is on the fritz I couldn't get that.

busta biggun

I have owned my DSD dekes for 5 years now and they still look brand new. Plus, no offense but the Avian looks like a beach ball next to the DSD. The posture of the DSD and the paint make it irresistible to a turkey. The build materials make it last forever. Not sure what more you would want in a decoy. They are more expensive, but so is everything about this crazy sport.

GSLAM95

Quote from: Chris Downs on February 01, 2013, 10:25:39 PM
GSLAM95...Awesome footage.  Makes me want to bowhunt now...haha. 

Help me decide on which DSD hen to get with my jake.  should I get the breeder, feeder, or looker?  I'll probably end up with all of them eventually, but I can only afford one at a time...haha.  I'm really leaning toward the breeder hen, but when the pastures and fields I hunt grow up some, later in the season, I don't know if the birds will be able to see it very well.
Chris,  Thanks for the kind remarks.  In my opinion the upright hen should be your next purchase.  If you watched my Jake rape clip on youtube you can see that it can be modified to pull double duty as a breeder!  PM me if you watch the clip and have questions.  Good luck hunting...John

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.