OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD or Avian-x?

Started by BlakeJ, January 31, 2013, 09:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

I'm trying to decide on a new gobbler and hen pair of deeks. Should I go with Dave Smith or Avian-x?

I was originally thinking avian, just because they're suppose to transport easy, but I've heard mixed reports on how easily they really are to carry around.

I run and gun about half of the time, how much of a pain are DSD's to carry around?

MAKEemQUIVER

I personally dont think you can go wrong with either one. I have an Avian X breeder hen and love it. It is heavy for a decoy but I didnt mind it. I leave mine fully inflated, but they are very easy to deflate and expand again if you would want. I will say this, a quality decoy is worth every penny in my opinion.
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

kansas hooks

I have several DSD's and i love them.  They are a little bulky but it really doesn't bother me.  They have a sack that you carry them in and i just swing them over my shoulder and go.

Sadler McGraw

I have both, and I personally think the DSD's look better. The DSD hens are smaller than Avian-X, the Avian X are like carrying a large rubbber basketball around.  You can inflate and deflate them in the woods, but you will be out of air trying to inflate them after getting to a set up.

I only have/had the hard DSD decoys, never found them to be cumbersome carrying them in the woods in the bag they come with. 

Sadler McGraw
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

alloutdoors

A DSD hen should fit in just about any vest with a game bag, you will just want to pull it out before you sit down regardless of whether or not you are using it at the specific set up. A second bird (like if you also want to use the jake) can be carried pretty easily just using the bag it comes in and throwing it over your shoulder.

Houndstooth Game Calls

socalturkeyman

What about the jake from DAKOTA?
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

GSLAM95

DSD is top of the line in my opinion and MADE IN THE USA! 
A.C.E. technology in materials
The Dakota/BTD is a chinese nock-off
Again I will add that the DSD is the only USA made decoy and has a great reputation in the field with excellent results and customer service second to none!

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

CASH

DSD. THE ORIGINAL. THE REAL THING.

NOT THE CHINESE MADE COPY CAT
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

nate12285

I have an Avian-X. I don't use it a lot but have had some success with it. It is very realistic.

lightsoutcalls

I own a DSD jake decoy and 2 DSD hens.  I have watched birds come from 300 yards across a cut corn field and work in and out of the setup, rubbing the decoys without any signs of intimidation or concern.  They are kinda bulky, but so are the dead turkeys I have carried out as a result of using them. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

vaturkey

DSD !!  The others are copys from the DSD's !
Vaturkey

870FaceLift

I have the Avian jake and lookout hen.  They are nice decoys and will kill birds.  I carry them around about 70% inflated so that I don't collapse a lung trying to setup.

Shortly after I bought mine, a hunting buddy bought the DSD's.  They also look great, but as mentioned in this thread, are made in the USA.  If I could go back, I'd buy the DSD's for that sole reason.

Also, for what it's worth, I see that Cabela's is now selling the DSD's.  There might be some e-codes floating around out there to get free shipping or a percentage off.
Pass it on...