turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Vest Question

Started by alclark2, January 31, 2013, 04:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alclark2

I'm looking to buy a new vest to get me organized. What MUST HAVE features do you look for in a vest? I got my Cabela Spring Catalog and started to check them out. Is the lounger/kickstand vest a waste of time or are they comfy? I have not used a vest in the past so any info would be appreciated. -Aaron
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Onpoint

I like my basspro bucklick creek lounger. Can't speak for the cabelas vest. A lot of guys on here like em.

30_06

I look for a nice thick seat cushion, make sure I wont sweat to death in it, and the ability to move some pockets around. Being left handed it seems pockets are always on the wrong side for me.

WVhuntEER

I have the tactical tatr II  non kickstand vest and it is great.  Best vest I've ever worn.   I've tried the kickstand version in the store and have contimplated upgrading to it but not sure I want to drop the extra money to get the exact same vest I have just for the kickstand. 

RIStrutStopper

Wing Supply has the Super Elite III on sale for $35. I picked one up just before Christmas from them for about the same price. The main reason I got it was because the seat cushion on my current vest is pretty flimsy and this one is nice and thick. Here's a link if you're interested
http://www.wingsupply.com/russell-outdoors-closeouts/russell-outdoors-realtree-all-purpose-super-elite-iii-treklite-turkey-vest/

runngun

I have both the Kickstbothand and Bucklick Creek and like them both cause sometimes I need to sit where they ain't a tree!!! They are both comfortable too.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

WildSpur

I like a good seat and padding at least along your spine too.  I like a design where my strikers are not bouncing and making noise.  Same goes with other calls--individual compartments.  I would definitley try them on before you buy.  Every vest is cut different.  For me some vests felt like I was in a stray jacket.  I settled on a Cabelas Tactical Tat'r.  I like how the vest pretty much was above my belt line and I did not feel restricted.  Not sure what your style of hunting is but if you are active and/or cover ground you may want to consider this.  I never tried a kick-stand style vest so I have no insight on it.

Cluck more, yelp less

Gooserbat

Turkey Vest are like girlfriends, they come in every shape, size, and amount of padding.  I like one, Vest that is, that's light but still has some padding in the seat.  I also like pockets but they must be well organized and silent.  I currently use an Ol'Tom standard time n motion and I like it.  No vest is perfect but some will suit you better.  If you can go to a Bass Pro or Cabelas and try on as many as you can and sit down on the seat, play with the pockets, think how you would organize your calls, and gear. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

birdyhunter

Love my ol tom time and motion I beam best. Have had several and this is by far the most comfortable vest with features and pockets for everything!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

redarrow

First I look at the cushion. The rest is just fluff..Any decent vest will carry all I need,but my backside always seems to find the only tree root or rock in the woods.

renegade19

Quote from: WVhuntEER on January 31, 2013, 08:09:43 PM
I have the tactical tatr II  non kickstand vest and it is great.  Best vest I've ever worn.   I've tried the kickstand version in the store and have contimplated upgrading to it but not sure I want to drop the extra money to get the exact same vest I have just for the kickstand.

:happy0064:    Love my Tatr too.  Very comfortable and lots of storage.

mikejd

I am not a vest guy. Have tried many and just do not like them. I use a Penns Woods deluxe shoulder bag. It is full of compartments for all sorts of calls and I can drop it in a second if I need to. I also wear a very comfortable foam seat on my belt.

TnTurk

Quote from: redarrow on February 10, 2013, 08:52:45 PM
First I look at the cushion. The rest is just fluff..Any decent vest will carry all I need,but my backside always seems to find the only tree root or rock in the woods.
Yep, the perfect tree always seems to have a root or rock exactly where I intend to sit my bottom.

Chris Downs

I always have one of those small fold out leg seats with me.  Takes up hardly any space in the game bag of my vest or just sling it over my shoulder.  Usually don't even worry about leaving the seat cushion on my vest anymore.  Just take it off and sit on the little stool/seat.  Much more comfortable that a pad/cushion, keeps me off the ground by a couple of inches, and after a long sit I don't feel the roots or rocks coming through the padding, like on most vest cushions.  Just my thoughts though.

millcreek

Having a couple vest works for me,cabelas turkey lounge chair with my NWTF vest that keeps all my must have calls.Then if I hunt the bottoms the lounge vest will work in place of trees.Hunting our eastern mtns will make you stop caring everything but the bathroom sink in your vest.