North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Kill and Hunt Stories/Congrats Thread.

Started by bornagain64, January 31, 2013, 03:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neverstopchasin

you gotta kill a couple young ones for good eatin aint no shame in that

jarbo03

Woke up yesterday morning to thunder, lightnibg, and good rain. After staring at the radar for a while  trying to decide if it would pass around my hunting grounds, I decided what the hell and headed out.  On my way the rains quit and looked to be over, very cloudy though. I made the 1/2 mile walk through the mud and wheat back to the tree line. Heard a few different birds gobbling bout 100 yards away.  After a while gave them a few yelps to let them know I was there. After flydown they gobbled and did their thing staying in the trees. Did light calling every 5 minutes or so. I saw a hen walk past about 45 minutes later, thought here we go! Got more aggressive with my calling on the diaphragm, could tell birds were coming. Finally saw them, they were acting aggressive, gave another round of aggressive calling. They started coming in half strut. They reached a good shooting lane bout 30 yards away. Gave a few yelps to get them to stop and gobble, extending his neck to gobble was his ladt movement.  Having only 2 tags I let the other bird walk, need to save it for a Rio here in a few weeks.   Nice to get mine during the week, now I can keep focusing ib gettibg my neohew and brother a bird, neither has shot one.

bornagain64

Nice job. Beautiful country there, the grass fields just seem to go forever.
Good luck with getting birds for your nephew and brother.

Trevor2

Strutstopper

timberjack86

jarbo03

Thanks fellas, glad to be on the board.  John this wheat field is only 80 acre, 1/2 mile to the road. Here in a few weeks I will be hunting big fields, on a few hunts I have chased Rios over 4 miles through draws and canyons, now that is fun!