Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

To record or not to record. That is the question...

Started by reflexl, January 30, 2013, 06:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

I am curious about how you fellers feel. Do you register record book birds or do you measure and weigh for your own gratification? I killed a bird that would have been #1 for Lincoln Co and #4 in the state. I didn't realize it when I killed him though. I kicked myself later for not registering the bird. I have taken two more birds that would have made the book but not near the bird that the first on I mentioned was.

I know a gent that was the first serious turkey hunter in Lincoln Co after the 1976 release. In 1986 his 8 year old son wanted to go turkey hunting. He took him. The lad was armed with a single shot 20 gauge and some high brass #6 loads. The dad started calling and instead of turkeys he called king kong. He later told me just as soon as I saw the bird I realized it was huge but I already told my son to kill the first bird. The bird was 31lbs. The bird had spurs that were roughly 2.5" and 2.75". The bird was dragging his paint brush on the ground between his feet. I saw the spurs (still on the legs) shortly after the kill. The bird was weighed on a meat scale at a grocery store. The length of the beard escapes me but I'll go 16" and think that is conservative. No doubt the bird deserved its spot in history but except for the 20 or so people that know about it and remember the kill it was just another turkey to the 8 year old.

So do you report the big bird or not? Are you satisfied with the taking of a big mature gobbler or do you put him in the book? One thing for certain,if I kill another monster bird he will get booked. If I kill the new #50 in the county.......................maybe not. reflex264

reflexl

I should clarify I am just trying to figure out how we feel. To me the excitement of the hunt is the priority. Enjoying the hunt and fellowship with buddies of like minds is important. I am just trying to figure out if teh trophy factor is a driving force. For sure if I take another monster I will turn him in but would hate to know that turning him in was more important than the enjoyment of the hunt. Does that make sense?

guesswho

I never gave it much thought until I killed a real high scoring bird.  Several people talked me into having him put in the books and now I'm glad I took the time to do it.  But I wouldn't do it again unless it scored more than that bird, and I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

2 1/2 to 2 3/4" spurs, 31 lbs., and a 16" beard?  I know I'd have had it put in the books.  That bird would score close to 120 as a typical.  Without pictures and witnesses people won't believe that.  The current typical record is around 104. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

longspur

If I kill one for the books I'll surely put it in there.

Fatbeard

I have had a few birds that have registered for the books and have never registered any of them. As the above bird mentioned I would want very solid proof. I would rather kill them than register them
East TN Beard Buster

stinkpickle

derek

I killed a 7 beard that would have been #2 in the state and I didn't put him in the books.  That was enough for me, and I suppose I wasn't that worried about it. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

socalturkeyman

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 30, 2013, 10:30:09 PM
I'm too lazy.

X2,to tired after long hunts,also I'd be thinking about the next time I get to chase them.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

captin_hook

If I ever kill one that is big enough, id take the time to get it in the book.

coyotetrpr

I dont think that I have ever killed one big enough to make the books. I guess that if I shot a true giant I could research how to score a turkey, and if he would be top 10 or 15 in the state I would probably register him. Problem I have is that if he is big enough to put in the books then he is big enough to get mounted. $$$$$$$ :-\
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

30_06

Maybe it is just me, but I wouldn't just to avoid the hassle. I guess I'm lazy too, just prefer to tease my friends that I killed one bigger than they did  ;D

reflexl

Quote from: 30_06 on January 31, 2013, 11:25:11 AM
Maybe it is just me, but I wouldn't just to avoid the hassle. I guess I'm lazy too, just prefer to tease my friends that I killed one bigger than they did  ;D

I like your thinking! :funnyturkey:

Spring_Woods

I don't weigh them. I truly only care about the spurs as far as trophy features go. Unless I killed one like mentioned with out of this world trophy qualities!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble: