Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hit the pattern board today....

Started by Turkeykiller12, January 29, 2013, 05:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeykiller12

I shot my little 20 today to see what those federal HW 3" #7's would do. I only had 30 yds to shoot, wished I would've had 40. I shot three times averaged 202 hits inside a ten circle at 30 yds. This is thru a .572 choke and a 21" barrel. The first shot was high and only land 179 hits inside the circle. I made an adjustment to get my POA and POI correct and shot two more times. The second shot with a dirty barrel yielded the best results at 221 inside the ten inch circle. I cleaned the barrel and shot one more time and got 207 in the circle. It's throwing a great pattern and I know it'll kill a bird. Any thoughts on these results and how do you think the results would be at 40 yds?

Sent from this thang that takes pictures, calls people and gets on Internet hunting forums.

Turkeykiller12

30 yd pattern

Sent from this thang that takes pictures, calls people and gets on Internet hunting forums.

dirt road ninja

Turkeykiller12

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 29, 2013, 07:43:38 PM
I'd bet you will see 130ish at 40.

That would work!

trkehunr93

I think between 110-130 at 40.  I would hunt with that pattern even if you don't get a chance to shoot it at 40 before you get in the woods.  I don't look so much at numbers as I do at how even it is and what does it look like at 20" in case you have that walking shot or they move their head as you squeeze the trigger.

davisd9

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 01, 2013, 01:18:24 PM
I think between 110-130 at 40.  I would hunt with that pattern even if you don't get a chance to shoot it at 40 before you get in the woods.  I don't look so much at numbers as I do at how even it is and what does it look like at 20" in case you have that walking shot or they move their head as you squeeze the trigger.

:agreed:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Turkeykiller12

I appreciate it guys! I hope to kill a bird with the little 20 this season.