OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diaphram Advice.

Started by tomstopper, January 29, 2013, 02:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Sounds kinda silly but this year I am forcing myself to learn how to use mouth calls. I have always used my slate/glass/aluminum calls & the box call the most with great success but this year I want to challenge myself & add a new skill to my turkey hunting. Do any of you have any advice on which ones I should start out with along with any tricks to help me get started. I have been practicing for 2 days now & have gotten some turkey sounds (mostly clucks and yelps) but not anything spectacular. Any advice would be appreciated (not only by me but also my family, I am driving them nuts).

reynolds243

the fewer the reeds the easier it is to start so find a single or double reed to start with till you get the basics. Youtube has tons of videos to help as well.

dont get as much caught up in the sounds as much as the cadence.  If you have heard a bunch of turkeys together no 2 sound the same and some sound TERRIBLE lol

and lastly the most common mistake is allowing to much air to escape out so make sure you seal the call in the roof of your mouth.

bosstom3

First I would say practice in your truck on ur way home from work this way you can stay married.... :icon_thumright:.......Seriously though I would say start with a double reed split V call, they seem to be the easiest to get to work. Start by trying to get the double note yelp, something like kee-yuk. Also when you start putting yelps and/or cuts together slow down the rhythem a bit. Almost everyone seems to run them together by calling too fast as beginners. This throws your cadence off which is really what you are looking for in your calling vs sounding like a champion caller to start. Each note is its own call and need to heard as such, even when you put them together in a series. Hope this helps....Oh yeah one more thing, Practice, Practice,Practice..... :anim_25:

TheSportsman

Id def. recommend Houndstooth mouth calls to start with.  Great quality. Give Lyle a shout. He will get you taken care of.

Gooserbat

Get on my website and order a Classic Hen (#003).  This style of call has been a turkey killing mainstay for 30 years.  It's used by newbies and veterans alike.

http://gooserbatcalls.com/catalog.php?category=1
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Shotgun

I remember a post on here a while back when guesswho was learning how to use a mouth yelper.  I think what he figured out was if you were doing it right your belly should move  ;D

jblackburn

The two things I will say would 1. find a call that has a good chance for you to succeed with and 2. practice a lot! 

As far as a call, a two reed is good to learn on.  Gooserbat's classic hen is a good one to begin with.  It will get you making good yelps and other turkey sounds pretty quick.  As you know, lots of turkeys are killed with yelps and clucks, so keep working on those.  Keep after them with your friction and use the mouth calls as "finisher" calls when you have the bead on him.

Good luck!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

tomstopper

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep you all updated on my progress. Thanks agian....

fallhnt

You my need to buy some calls to find what works to start out with but the best way I can tell you is you want the call to make a high to low sound. So the call will sound like eeeeeee then with  drop of the lower jaw you will hear yalk. Speed that up and there you have the high/low of  turkey yelp. Nothing to it.See you at the Grand Nationals...
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

rmbailey2010

I'm a big fan of the raspy red reactor from Woodhaven Custom Calls.

BigMick

Quote from: rmbailey2010 on January 30, 2013, 01:34:37 PM
I'm a big fan of the raspy red reactor from Woodhaven Custom Calls.

This is a great call.  I also love the Copperhead and Copperhead II from Woodhaven

Turkey Trot

What people find easy to use varies widely.

I personally think a Ghost Cut is an easy one for a beginner, and I bought some Tom Teasers Cracked Corn for young kids.  They seemed to pick it up pretty well with that call.

The Tom Teasers video followed up with Scott Ellis' "Mouthcall Magic" will help you a lot. 

One of the things that helps me, and is not discussed a lot, is moisturizing the call well before you try to use it.  I put it in my mouth well in advance of intended use and drink water.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

rmbailey2010

I'd also reccomend "Mouthcall Magic" by Scott Ellis like Turkey Trot said