turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patience?

Started by guesswho, January 27, 2013, 02:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

How important is patience in the game of this spring gobbler hunting thing?   I see people on forums rank it as number one a lot.  Some will go as far as saying the three most important things while turkey hunting is patience, patience, and patience.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hookedspur

I'm pretty sure you could teach me a whole lot about our game but I know this, to many times in my
hunts I would stand up to leave and put a turkey in the air within a few steps.
Or cross the holler to his side cause he wasn't coming only to hear him gobble from the spot I just left.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

appalachianstruttstopper

:agreed: The way I look at it is turkeys have all day every day of their life to do turkey stuff. Hunters are the ones that get in a hurry and mess things up most of the time, especially with a 12o'clock curfew!
Quote from: guesswho on January 27, 2013, 02:52:03 PM
How important is patience in the game of this spring gobbler hunting thing?   I see people on forums rank it as number one a lot.  Some will go as far as saying the three most important things while turkey hunting is patience, patience, and patience.

redarrow

Quote from: hookedspur on January 27, 2013, 03:01:29 PM
I'm pretty sure you could teach me a whole lot about our game but I know this, to many times in my
Or cross the holler to his side cause he wasn't coming only to hear him gobble from the spot I just left.
Been there,done that and I still ain't learned to be patient.I'd have to agree it is key to success.

anthonyjhallen

Aggressive Patience....

Spring_Woods

Man I hate when that happens!!!!!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

vaturkey

Please read my avitar !   :newmascot:

IMO Mid morning & a wildcat call is deadly !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

longspur

more than once...more than twice...more than three times...more

guesswho

Quote from: vaturkey on January 27, 2013, 04:46:41 PM
Please read my avitar !   :newmascot:

IMO Mid morning & a wildcat call is deadly !  :icon_thumright:
I don't have the patience to read your avatar.  And I wish you would quit telling the secret of the wildcat call.  If to many people pick up on it, it could be devastating to turkey population's every where.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

CASH

Patience? What's that?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

guesswho

Quote from: CASH on January 27, 2013, 07:05:38 PM
Patience? What's that?
That fits the pattern of most serious turkey slayers I know.  There are exceptions but most of the stone cold killers I know have very little patience.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

I still need to be more patient in the turkey woods. It's funny that I always tell my kids to be patient but maybe this year I will take my own advice.

Hognutz

If I know there is a bird there, my patience level increases. If it is a hunt where I have no clue if there is a bird within 5 miles, my tolerance for staying put, gets tested.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

teke

Agreed. If i'm hearing birds it's easy to sit, otherwise i usually wake up wondering if birds have walked past me! :TrainWreck1:

Hooksfan

I think the key is reaching the point where you can tell when patience will pay off and when you have to make something happen.
I became a much more aggressive hunter by making hunts before school and having to be done in time to beat my students back to class.  As the years went by, I started having more and more success on those quick hunts and eventually came to realize that spooking turkeys will happen and it ain't the end of the world if it happens.  I even joke now and say that when I get done with a turkey, he is either gonna be scared or dead.