OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What choke is the best for a SBE

Started by WW, January 25, 2013, 08:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I just got a H&K Super Black Eagle... For those of you who own this gun, what's the tightest turkey choke that you've tried? I shoot Hevi Shot #6 but have to buy a new choke.

mightyjoeyoung

Take a good, long loom at the Pure Gold .670.  I get an avg 250/10" at 40 yards in my SBE II with that choke and I have tried a bunch to get those #'s...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Dbrnmllr

Heard good things about the pure gold and Indian creek.  I have a jelly head in mine and it does the job.

WW

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 25, 2013, 08:15:52 PM
Take a good, long loom at the Pure Gold .670.  I get an avg 250/10" at 40 yards in my SBE II with that choke and I have tried a bunch to get those #'s...

What brand and size shells do you shoot?

mightyjoeyoung

3.5" straight hevi 6s.  3" 6s give me an honest 200 avg through the PG.

gobblingghost

I have an SBE H&K too. I currently 3.5" Hevi #7. I am thinking about trying some 3" Hevi 2 oz #7 and Winchester HTL #6. My choke of choice is a Sumtoy.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: WW on January 25, 2013, 08:12:21 PM
I just got a H&K Super Black Eagle... For those of you who own this gun, what's the tightest turkey choke that you've tried? I shoot Hevi Shot #6 but have to buy a new choke.

Congratulations! I've owned one of those guns since 1991. The original barrel was 26" and over the years I also bought 24" and 28" barrels for it. As you know, the bore on that gun is much tighter than many others and the H&K guns can have barrels that are much tighter than the later guns. My original 26" has an i.d. of .719 as I recall.

I've shot chokes as tight as .640 and regularly shoot a .643 choke. I get good patterns however with chokes up to .655-.656. It really all depends upon the design, internal geometry, of the choke. I get my best results with 3" Hevi-13 with 2 oz. of #6 or #7 shot.

That SBE is such a great gun and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine over the years.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mightyjoeyoung

Yup.  I forgot that the old H&K's were a tighter bore!  I would look into the .650-.660 as well...

ccleroy

I shoot a .650 Sumtoy out of mine with 3.5" WXRHD 6's with great results

TheSportsman

I had great results in mine with a .650 Ballistic Specialties turkey choke.  I would suggest a .650 Sumtoy

h2obil

I got my SBE in 1994, I use a Rhino Choke tube .673 with 3'' Heavy 13 #6 shells.

Good Luck!