News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Las Vagas turkeys?

Started by 4nolz2, January 25, 2013, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nolz2

(wild turkeys that is)

is there a huntable turkey population reasonably close to Vegas? What subspecies? :turkey2:

socalturkeyman

Yes there is a huntable populations. They are rios but you have to draw and from what I here the birds are mostly on private. But the private lands are backed up to national forest which they might spill over.I think they might have land owner tags too,which its be guided if your into that type of thing.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Ded Goblr

Southern Utah would be your best bet, Permits are limited to 1100 permit for the southern region.

birdman24

Quote from: Ded Goblr on January 28, 2013, 05:05:12 PM
Southern Utah would be your best bet, Permits are limited to 1100 permit for the southern region.

Only for the first 2 1/2 wks, then 3 day youth season followed by over the counter tag til the end of May. You do have to buy a small game permit to purchase the turkey tag. Don't know cost for nonresident.

socalturkeyman

Im planning on heading to south utah,I've heard some horror stories but will have to find out myself. It could be some non residents think to highly of themselfs and come off as jerks. If I do make it this year Ill be out of cedar city. From Vegas its only like 2 hours I think if that.

Turkeyman11

Just to follow up about Utah.  You can buy an over the counter permit for the hunt that starts April 29.  If you hunt the Rios you will more than likely have some competition.  The popular areas get hit pretty hard and the birds there can be tough. If you hunt the Merriams you can honestly hunt some great areas with little or no pressure especially on the weekdays.  I live in Cedar City and hunt the mountain yearly with excellent success.  Wouldn't be opposed to pointing you to a good area or two if you get stumped.

socalturkeyman

Turkeyman11,
I would love to get some pointers,heck maybe we can link up and hunt together. I plan on going out there the second week of may some time. I was think around the 7th through the 10th. And If I dont have any luck than,I would be back out there around my birthday the 25th.